UKC

Disc rotors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 10 Jul 2015
I want to replace my disc rotors on my bike, they are 160 front and back with six bolts, might be a daft question but assuming you can replace with 160, 6 bolt disc rotor by another manufacturer?

Thanks in advance

Lynsey.
 Chris the Tall 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Yep, 6 bolt rotors are standard, so you should be ok. They are a standard width. What you might find is you need to add a couple of washers to the mounts if the new rotor rubs against the brake unit.

If you want to increase the size of the rotor (for extra braking) then you'll need an adapter - but they only cost a fiver.

balmybaldwin 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Generally, yes its fine, although discs vary in performance a bit, so you may find another manufacturer's discs don't work as well due to different cooling rates.

Also, if looking at Floating rotors (the pretty 2/3 piece rotors) you might need to be wary of clearance around the Calliper.

Whilst you are doing it, consider if you want to go up to a 180 at the front (do you get brake fade, are you planning a trip to the alps etc?) Probably fine, but depends on the riding you do
 nniff 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:
Not quite - sometimes floating discs mounted to a spider don't quite fit with another manufacturer's calliper: the disc fits but the spider just fouls the calliper. Happened to me, mixing Hayes with, I think, a Hope disc. Someone got a bargain disc with the anodising 'tinged' off the spider. Shouldn't be a problem with a plain steel disc though

As far as I am aware, the calliper mounting dictates the size of the disc: a wheel with a 180 disc won't fit into a fork with mountings that are positioned so that the calliper grabs a 160 disc.
Post edited at 14:41
 LastBoyScout 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

You should be fine with the bolt pattern, but beware of "odd" sized rotors - my old Giant MPH ones were actually 163mm, which didn't work when I upgraded to XT calipers.

These are pretty good disks - I've been running a 180mm Wave up front, which is an easy mod from 160mm with an adapter:

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-braking/mounta...
 balmybaldwin 10 Jul 2015
In reply to nniff:

> As far as I am aware, the calliper mounting dictates the size of the disc: a wheel with a 180 disc won't fit into a fork with mountings that are positioned so that the calliper grabs a 160 disc.

Changing disc size just requires a £5 adaptor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...