UKC

running with a baby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 10 Jul 2015
Our first is due fairly soon, i'm keen to find a way to combine getting out running with the bambino, is there a running style pushchair and are they any good ?
 hokkyokusei 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

I've seen (and been beaten by) several people running with their kids at my local parkrun. They all seem to have three wheelers with big wheels.
 mountainbagger 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Yes, the main thing is it needs to be a 3-wheeler with a fixed or fixable front wheel. You can definitely buy ones specifically designed for running, but if you just want to try it out, borrow someone's 3 wheeler to see if your baby likes it.

As my friend found to his cost, not fixing the front wheel can have an unfortunate outcome (don't worry he and his daughter are OK now!)
OP goldmember 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Any makes or models to look for or avoid ?
 Heike 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

This was my idea before I had a child, too, once I had one I rather took a half hour out to run by myself But if you need one, Out and about nipper sport works a treat!
In reply to goldmember:

I found its when they are old enough to sit up and face forward that running with them becomes fun so that's when you need the pram with the three wheels.
 Will Wykes 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

plus one for the nipper 360! Took the sproglet one on hour long runs in it and other than having to vary my stride a little found it really good. Looking forward to when I can take sproglet two in it

As well as being good for running the 360 is excellent for walking too and can handle all sorts of terrain.

Will
 wbo 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember: it doesn't have to have 3 wheels, but it needs to work. I bought a babyjogger but neither of my kids liked it so i just pushed their regulær wagons (teutonia with fairly large wheels). They weren't light but they rolled ok.

There is a real technique to learn. I ran behind and to the side pretty much tapping it along with short pushes
csambrook 10 Jul 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> I've seen (and been beaten by) several people running with their kids at my local parkrun. They all seem to have three wheelers with big wheels.

I'm regularly beaten by them too.
One thing I've noticed is that they all seem to have a leash between the runner's wrist and the buggy which I guess is a safety feature in case the child is quicker than you are!
 John Kelly 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Double pram is the real challenge, steepest bank you can find, safety leash and all your aerobic training problems are over
Thickhead 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Phil & Ted's have a range of 3 wheelers suitable for running with. We have the Classic version which you can get as a travel system too, so you have the car seat plus adaptor and it also converts into a double buggy if you have another one to fit in before the first child is big enough!

It came with a wrist strap as a safely precaution. It has a fixable front wheel.

The bad news is it cost about £400+ (for the single buggy plus car seat included).

A good pram though is worth it's weight in gold if you're outdoors and active and want to walk lots with the kids.
 wbo 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember: the downside of the leash is that if the runner falls junior can get a surprise....

XXXX 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

This. You deserve you time. Leave the baby behind
 Denni 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

We have a Croozer Kid 1 and it is excellent. Use it daily as a pram with the pram wheel and it fits in shop doors.
Also use it most days as a bike trailer or a jogger. Lightweight, robust, been up Snowdon, God knows how many forest tracks you name it, fab bit of kit.
Just be sure to get the insert for a baby and don't use it until they are about 6/7/8 months old or go by weight.
Hope this helps, Den
Thickhead 10 Jul 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> This. You deserve you time. Leave the baby behind

On its own?

We like going out as a family and having relatively gentle runs along beach, parks, quiet/no traffic roads, Parkruns etc.
 Oli Greg 10 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:
We have a Baby Jogger Summit X3, that is designed for running. Really easy to fold down for storage an despite it being bigger than other prams, it is easy to manoeuvre around tight spaces (shopping etc).
Would highly recommend one.
 Adam Long 11 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:
Definitely Nipper 360. Our fourth pram (only one child mind!) and by far the best, most are useless for anything other than going from car park to primark. If you buy second hand they are £150 or so. The older ones have smaller wheels with the front swivelling or with a switch to fix. The newer ones have much bigger wheels all fixed, slightly better for running, but my wife much prefers the option to swivel if taking it into town or on the bus. Much better off path too, I've taken ours to a few crags you'd normally need a baby carrier.
Post edited at 09:18
XXXX 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Thickhead:

Or with whichever parent isn't out!? Or family. Or a friend...

Each to their own, but I wouldn't recommend buying anything until baby is born. No one knows what to expect and eBay is full of second hand running buggies, bike attachments etc.

My experience, as asked for, is that running with a baby is neither running, nor spending time with the baby.
 mountainbagger 11 Jul 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> I wouldn't recommend buying anything until baby is born.

Good advice - can't take them out in a running buggy until they can support their own head. 6 months old maybe - can't remember. I'd wait.

> My experience, as asked for, is that running with a baby is neither running, nor spending time with the baby.

Again, for me, this turned out to be true. I just went for a run by myself when I could. The running buggy might come in useful if the only time you get is on the way to and from the nursery or similar - i.e. a journey you've got to do anyway. Good way of squeezing more running in if you're desperate!
 Roadrunner5 11 Jul 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

Well we live away from all family and have a few friends but they are all med school students like my wife. So once she starts her residency she'll be working long hours so the kid will be running and biking with me..

If you live in an area with plenty of traffic free well surfaced cycle ways its not much of an issue. I see many people doing t around me and many at races.

A mate in Germany used to go out running at stupid hours because the kid slept so well in a moving buggy.. freshair and the motion and he'd doze off and then he'd put him to bed...
 wbo 11 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember: well it worked perfectly for me as I took tons of paternity leave and that meant I could always run in daylight in the later morning, early afternoon. Perfect . 70miles a week pushing the barnevogn

Hyphin 11 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Running with a baby, more or less dangerous than running with a pencil?

(apologies if someone has already stated the bleeding obvious but I'm bored, though not sufficiently so to read the entire thread. hope all goes well anyway)
Thickhead 11 Jul 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> Or with whichever parent isn't out!? Or family. Or a friend...

As I say, we like to do it as a family, but its a personal choice. We don't have family locally and would soon run out of friends if we left the baby with them every day!

> Each to their own, but I wouldn't recommend buying anything until baby is born. No one knows what to expect and eBay is full of second hand running buggies, bike attachments etc.

Agreed.

> My experience, as asked for, is that running with a baby is neither running, nor spending time with the baby.

As people above have said, people run Parkruns with babies in buggies. They also get sub 25min times which is definitely running. If the baby is asleep it makes little difference to the baby what you're doing - running or making another baby it won't know any different
Thickhead 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> A mate in Germany used to go out running at stupid hours because the kid slept so well in a moving buggy.. freshair and the motion and he'd doze off and then he'd put him to bed...

This was my experience.

Its the only way we could have a daytime break - he just wouldn't fall asleep in his cot for a daytime nap so it was either a drive, walk/run in pram or exhaustion.

Thickhead 11 Jul 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Good advice - can't take them out in a running buggy until they can support their own head. 6 months old maybe - can't remember. I'd wait.

If you get a travel system you clip the car seat into the buggy and off you go, head well supported.

Otherwise in a buggy it would be about 6months as you say.

deacondeacon 12 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:
In Sheffield our local running shop (FrontRunner) has a running buggy that you can borrow for a try out. Perhaps other running shops do this too. I'd definitely recommend trying a few as they can feel very different from each other and keeping a good running style/posture is really important to ensure you're nice and comfortable when running.
My wife is a keen runner and although she gets to run without the baby sometimes she'll still go for a buggy run a few times a week, and don't let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing when it comes to looking after your child, if you want to go running with your baby then you do that

Irk: if you told my wife that what she's doing isn't real running she'd slap you all over South Yorkshire. She's quite often First Lady in our local Parkrun while pushing the buggy round!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...