UKC

New road bike - De Rosa Idol/Pinarello Rokh/Casati?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonathan watt 13 Jul 2015
Hoping to ask for any advice. I am in the market for a new road bike and have around 3K to spend (a little more if necessary).

The only thing is I have to get it from a particular shop. They deal in Pinarello, Casati, DeRosa, Colnago, Cannondale. I'm going to have a look this week but would like to go armed with as much info as possible.

Have been looking at the De Rosa Idol, Pinarello Rokh and perhaps a Casati Demone (although I know nothing about them).

Initially wondering if anyone has any experience of the De Rosa Idol or the Pinarello Rokh as these seem to be at the top of my list. I am particularly after one that will climb very well as this is a bit of a weakness of mine and also I live in the Peak District. Have ridden a Pinarello FP2 before (a few years ago) and that seemed to climb brilliantly hence why looking at the Rokh. Would be grateful to hear from anyone who may have experience with Casati as well.

As an addition to it, my build should probably be noted. I'm around 5'7"but with shorter limbs and longer back.

Any advice gratefully received.
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Jul 2015
In reply to jonathan watt:

> I am in the market for a new road bike and have around 3K to spend (a little more if necessary).

Hahaha that made me chuckle. A new meaning for the word necessary.

OP jonathan watt 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Mmm I thought that when writing it
 balmybaldwin 13 Jul 2015

You know my opinion!

Hmm seriously though they'll all be effing nice bikes. Try them out is the best thing to do the fit is really key at that price.

Personally I'd build a bike at that price. I've always thought the most expensiveoff the peg bikes still have relatively crap wheels compared to the frame ect. You'll get much more of what you want in a custom build.

Fair comment - it's why I'm looking at the Casati as they are a custom frame. I've always found it difficult to find the ideal bike due to my build so it may be the best way to go.

Yeah especially if you're not average build (I'm not sure anyone is). So maybe you go for a (smaller) frame based just on your leg length (not height) then put a longer than normal stem on to suit your back? Keep the bars narrow if you think your arms are shorter and you'd end up with a very enviable position.

Actually what's happened in the past is the top tube has been too short and the handlebars too narrow - simply putting on a longer stem on a smaller frame hasn't had the desired effect as my weight is still far too far forward. I have very broad shoulders as well to be honest (ex rugby player!) so wider handlebars prob best.
 kevin stephens 13 Jul 2015
In reply to jonathan watt: I live in the Peak District too and climbing is also my weakness. I recognise the answer is to "not buy upgrades but ride up grades". Having said that I wouldn't dream of buying a £3k bike off the shelf; far better to choose a frame set and get everything else to make a perfect custom fit and also meet your specific requirements. Your chosen LBS should be able to do this. If not try Race Scene in Barnsley.

In reply to kevin stephens:

Funny enough it's Racescene I'm going through!

Ah Ok well putting the bars higher relative to the saddle is the way to take weight of your hands. It sounds like trying them is a good idea!
 felt 13 Jul 2015

> The only thing is I have to get it from a particular shop. They deal in Pinarello, Casati, DeRosa, Colnago

Is this a Mob sorta situation?
 abr1966 13 Jul 2015

All nice bikes! Id hope for that money a good fitting would be part of the deal....see which frame has the best geometry/fitting for you and spec it from there? Depends what the shop is like but with a good budget they should be accommodating!
In reply to felt:

Ah, I think I follow now!

Thanks everyone for your input - it will at least be a bit of fun trying them all
Then they should be able to do a great custom fit build on one of their own Ciocc frames. They did for my girlfriend

Don't know anything about Ciocc - how is it?

Italian frames imported exclusively by Racescene, range of frames and prices, on their website.
Thanks - will have a look at them as well then. Just want to get it right!
bing181 13 Aug 2015
FWIW, I have a Rokh.

Not the ultimate climbing bike, if that's all you're looking at. On the other hand, what goes up has to come down, and while I've had some more than decent bikes, it's definitely the ultimate descending bike! Handling and stability is just something else - as is comfort, power delivery etc. Someone once described it as a bike that carries speed well, and I can't do better than that.

It's slightly heavier than other higher-end bikes around, but that's true of a number of the Pinarellos. I do a lot of climbing, and the slightly increased weight (250 gm?) is made up for by its other attributes. Over a few years, my fastest times have all been set on the Pinarello.

But - you need to try it, and make sure the geometry works for you. It's in the "comfort bike" direction, but you need to have a "comfort bike" morphology for that to work completely. If you can get at least a couple of rides on it do - it took me a month to get my head around it and stop fighting it, but once I did - we're inseparable now!

Sorry for the gushing post. Each to his/her own, but it definitely works for me.
 LastBoyScout 13 Aug 2015

For that money, do what I did on the same budget - get measured properly, find a frame that fits your body and style and build what you want around that.

If you get what you want/need in sales and build it yourself, you'll have a very nice bike at a very good price.

If you do go "off the peg", note it will have rubbish wheels and tyres, so budget to upgrade them right away, especially if you want a good climbing bike.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...