UKC

Backpack of choice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Easty14 19 Jul 2015
Thinking of changing my climbing bag, what do people use/recommend?
Needs to be big enough to hold a large trad rack, spare jumper ect. and preferably a rope as currently carrying that separate.
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

Hagloffs rock hard 30l is the best I've ever had. I'm sure I'll buy another when this one retires (expect that to be many many years).
 1poundSOCKS 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Hagloffs rock hard 30l is the best I've ever had. I'm sure I'll buy another when this one retires (expect that to be many many years).

I've got the same pack and I've had 4 years hard use out of it so far, very happy.

Although I would be tempted to get a 40 litre if I bought again, I do struggle to get everything in sometimes.
 Aigen 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

You are spoiled for choice at the moment. What will you use it for is the most important question. Just Trad, Alpine, Scottish, Ski touring, Around Town?
OP Easty14 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Aigen:
Just looking for trad days as I've already got a decent set up for my mountaineering stuff.
 GridNorth 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

I like the fully opening panel loaders like the Arcteryx Miura 45 for cragging. I think Blue Ice do similar in a smaller size.

Al
 Aigen 19 Jul 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Check out the DMM Flight.
youtube.com/watch?v=Cqh0moeRK4M&
OP Easty14 19 Jul 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

That looks like a beautiful bag!! Bit on the pricey side but I think I might end up convincing myself into it. FYI it looks like Arcteryx do a 35l as well.
 PPP 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

Initially I thought that having a rucksack with a wide opening (I got Blue Ice Octopus) is the way to go. The thing I forgot is that I don't have a car which results in cycling, walking uphill, etc. with the rucksack for quite a bit of time before I actually can open it. I am sure there are better designed rucksacks which can actually handle heavier weights (let's say, two 60m ropes and full trad rack with other stuff). However, the Blue Ice Octopus does not have the best back support system which made me buy Osprey Mutant 38 (well, it was the only rucksack which had a decent helmet carrying system). Sadly, I haven't tried it in action, but it can definitely carry stuff better than Blue Ice Octopus.

If you are interested in Octopus, give me a shout. It's been used for half a dozen of times only and it's slightly muddy, so you won't look like a newbie at the crag.
OP Easty14 20 Jul 2015
In reply to PPP:

Cheers for your help guys think I'm either going to go for the Arcteryx Miura 45 or the Dmm flight the Arcteryx Miura 45 looks like the better bag. However the flight is half the price. It will be interesting to see which wins the gear junky in me or the stingy old man.
juanbrein 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

I wouldn't go for the dmm flight. I've got it and is a great pack but not definitely not for trad climbing.

Often I find myself climbing with the backpack on multipitches or coming out of the crag / cliff. DMM flght is quite bulky and it has no way to reduce the volume.

I use a deuter 30l , very similar to Hagloffs mentioned here... I really recommend it.

Regardless the brand, most important is how it'll fit on your back. Go and try different ones. Most of them are really good and very similar on capabilities. Look for alpine climbing specific backpacks. They are mostly between 30 to 45 litres. You can fit a full rack, and they can still reduce on size that you can climb very comfi with them.

Be sure you'll regret if you have the best backpack but is not comfortable on your back.

Cheers
 whenry 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned PodSacs - their Alpine bags are tough as nails, and can be stripped down if you're doing a multipitch with it - I'm very pleased with mine. Available in 40 or 50 litres.
 GridNorth 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

If I was in the market for a new rucksack now I would seriously consider this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=8gZQ8xXkGcA&

Al
 eltankos 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

If you've been keen on the DMM flight check this out, it's the same idea but half the price
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rock-bag-30-l-id_8270205.html
 Mark Kemball 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

I bought this a couple of years ago. It really is the dog's dangly bits. http://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/product/1481_blue-ice-warthog-26l-cl...
 TobyA 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:

I reviewed the old miura 45 for UKC, you'll find it in the cragpack for traditional climbers review. It's great but someone was saying here recently that the new version is a bit pants in comparison.
 HeMa 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Easty14:
Blue Ice Warthog 26, carries a big trad rack, a light insulating piece and some snacks, camera plus 1 liter of water. Naturally a rope as well.

And if you can't fit the stuff in there, you're carrying too much (or are on a monster offwidth rampage, whose rack consists solely of Friend 5s and 6s). In which case I would say a 80 to 90 liter haulbag is your bast option.
Post edited at 07:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...