UKC

Can a lens kill a camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 20 Jul 2015
Not having a good week for camera kit. My new (to me) Pentax 50-135 broke at the weekend, bayonet came partly away from the lens body, possibly damaged by the previous owner (I've only had it a few weeks), possibly damaged by my kids. So far, so bad. Tightened the screws which had come loose, reattached it to my K5, turned on, battery icon flashed empty a couple of times, camera now refuses to turn on. Have tried a couple of batteries, same result.

So, is it possible for a faulty electrical connection on a lens to break the camera body? A bit of intellectual discussion on this point may help keep me from crying into my camera bag.
 The Potato 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Sam W:
have you tried it with a different lens? or just without a lens at all? the camera will still turn on and if you put it in manual mode you could still take a shot, although there wont be anything visible on it ofcourse.
Post edited at 10:09
 balmybaldwin 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Sam W:

It may have caused a short especially if you were waving a screwdriver around, but you most likely would have heard that.

Are you sure the battery is charged?
 ChrisJD 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Sam W:

Nothing to add, apart from sympathy ;-(
 Dark-Cloud 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Sam W:

Does it power on with the lens off ? Or is that what you are trying anyway ?
OP Sam W 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Sam W:

Have tried different lenses, charging batteries and everything else I can think of. Pretty much resigned to sending it off and a big repair bill. Thought the worst I could do with the tinkering was have a lens that needed repair, so the same position I was already in, will be more cautious next time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...