UKC

West Highland Way – CX or Full-Sus?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MarcusP 21 Jul 2015

Title says it all really: For a one day push along the West Highland way, am I going to have a better time of it on a full suspension 26" MTB with disk brakes, or a CX bike with 33mm tyres and cantis? Would be interested to hear experiences from people who have done it before, and thoughts on how bike selection might affect the amount of carrying that I'll end up doing. Thanks!
Post edited at 17:30
 coinneach 21 Jul 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

Don't think I'd be taking a cx bike up ( or down ) The Devil's Staircase. Gullies are exactly the right size & sharpness for pinch punctures. The midges love it when you stop to fix one of those!
 Bob 21 Jul 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

Only done the upper bit from Crianlarich to Ft William, we were on hardtails which were fine. I wouldn't like to descend to Kinlochleven on a CX, it's mostly rideable on a HT. Most of the going is rough rather than technical and you'd feel pretty beaten up on a CX so of the two I would go for the FS
 Dr.S at work 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Bob:

A mate has done it on a full Susser, lomondside the worst bit
 DaveHK 21 Jul 2015
In reply to MarcusP:
I'll ride more than most on the crosser but the northern part of the whw would be really hard work.

It would be rideable depending on your skill level but punishing. A HT wohuld be ideal but given your choices I would go FS
Post edited at 19:49
 Seocan 21 Jul 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

i did it on a full suss over two days, if you can do it in one then good effort, but you'd get more enjoyment i think out of the fs as the descent from the glencoe is made for hammering down. Also, the approach to crianlarich was pretty clarty, as was the bit from through the woods before FW, as was plenty other stretches, and given the recent weather I would expect that to be the same. Isnt that going to murder cx brakes. Loch Lomond side, and up the devils staircase, then whatever is lightest. Wouldnt a cx rattle you to bits?
 ross 21 Jul 2015
In reply to MarcusP:
I love going mountain biking on my CX bike, but for WHW in a day an MTB is much better and will allow you to enjoy the descents far more. Quite a few people tried it the day I did it and many pulled out because they they ran out of tubes AND patches. I had tubeless LUST tyres on Stans rims and didn't get any.

It's pretty rough for much of the way so have a bail out plan in case you get a terminal mechanical.

The top of Loch Lomond is awful. If I do it again I may take the ferry across and ride up the road, or at least carry trainers to wear on the long rocky walk.

Hope you have a great day, is a fantastic ride. Cheers, Ross.
In reply to MarcusP:

Yes as others have said it wouldn't be much fun on a CX, and I suspect you would be walking much more, and I'd be surprised if you didn't frequently puncture. Enjoy though whatever you ride it on
OP MarcusP 21 Jul 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

Grand – thank you all! Suspension seems the way to go. My mountaineering club has a hut by Bridge of Orchy, so it is tempting to split the ride and kip there. Now just need a weather window!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...