UKC

Island Peak, Nepal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 22 Jul 2015
If you happened to be kicking around Namche how quickly could you get from there to Island Peak summit and back? I'm not talking about some Kilian Jornetesque record attempt but the minimum number of days required for a fit person to do it, acclimatization issues aside.
 Guy 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Tyler:

It took us 2 days to walk from the base of Island Peak back to Lukla so 1.5 days from Namche to Island peak. We were travelling light and were fit and acclimatised, walking not running.
OP Tyler 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Guy:

Thanks Guy, how many days from there to the summit?
 Tom Briggs 22 Jul 2015

What do you mean by "acclimatisation issues aside"? You could do it in 5 days, assuming you've acclimatised to higher than Namche. E.g. Namche - Pangboche - Chukkung - BC - Summit and return to Chukkung - Namche. But if you've just been hanging out in Namche, you'd want more time.
Post edited at 15:46
 Guy 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Tyler:

Can't compete with Tom on solid advice for that region!!!
OP Tyler 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Cheers Tom, by that I mean assuming someone (ok its me I'm talking about) were acclimatized. If it all seems a bit vague it's because I'm going to a wedding celebration in Namche and I've been asked if I fancy doing it and I'm just wondering how realistic it is, I'd no idea (until) Guy's reply how many days walk away it was nor how many days are required to climb. It sounds as though if I find myself with a 5 day window it might be possible to fit it in.
 Tom Briggs 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Tyler:

In that case 7 days is more realistic with acclimatisation/rest days in either Dingboche or Chukkung, and at BC. That would still be pushing it - you'd be better off doing something like Chukkung Ri if you're tight on time.
 Guy 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Tyler:

At best you'll feel awful on Island Peak on that schedule and at worst you won't feel terrible because you'll be in a coma etc. You definitely need some acclimatisation time thrown in.
 radson 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Guy:

Scary stuff..acclimatisation issues aside..

Anyways, if one was really acclimatised to at least 5,000 m, then if you left Namche before sunrise, it wouldn't be unreasonable to hit Chukkung by the end of a long day.
 Guy 23 Jul 2015
In reply to radson:

but would you then be in a fit state to climb a mtn? I think given 5 days you would be better off doing a nice lightweight fast trek. Much more enjoyable.
OP Tyler 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Thanks for the suggestion Tom, sounds just the ticket.

To the rest of you worrying about my health this isn't as hair brained as it might sound, I'm not in the habit of taking risks.
 Guy 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Tyler:

Isn't it nice to know we care? What ever you do have fun.
 radson 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Tyler:

Last time I climbed it, with a fairly strong group, we left base camp in the wee hours of the morning, summited around 10-11 am and then got back to Dingboche just after dark after packing up etc.
 Escher 24 Jul 2015
In reply to radson:

I did the same but it'd be fair to say I was a wee bit tired on arrival at Dingboche!
 radson 25 Jul 2015
In reply to Escher:

Yeah the first time I climbed IP, I got back to BC, the second time Chukkung, the third time Dingboche...and yeah we were very tired.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...