UKC

can you identify a 1970s children's fantasy book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 22 Jul 2015
This should test the ukc hive mind - I remember reading a book in primary school that I would like to read to my daughter. I read it aged 10ish so that's 1975. It was a fantasy novel and very reminiscent of The Hobbit. I remember more about the physical form of the book - it seemed prodigiously thick to me at that tender age, it had a cover illustration that was grey and I think it had the word grey in the title though even that could be wrong. I remember being very proud to have read such a big book (and it did captivate my youthful imagination).
This question is not easily googleable, which I quite like.
In reply to pasbury:

can you remember anything about what happened in it...?
 Simon Caldwell 22 Jul 2015
In reply to JJL:

that's the one I was about to suggest
 Alyson 22 Jul 2015
In reply to pasbury:

The Grey King? (Susan Cooper)

It was published in 1975, though it is part of a series so maybe not one you'd read as a standalone book.
pasbury 22 Jul 2015
In reply to JJL:

It's not that - though it looks interesting
pasbury 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Alyson:
I don't think it's the Grey King as I don't recall the idea of it being part of a series. I believe it's a really obscure book that has been forgotten.

Also I think more likely to have been published before 1975.
Post edited at 22:11
pasbury 22 Jul 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I can't!

All I can really remember is the sheer physical size of the thing - I think I decided to read it as a 9 or 10 yr old just to prove I could read a 'big' book. But I really enjoyed it too.
 Rob Naylor 23 Jul 2015
In reply to pasbury:
Fafhrd And The Gray Mouser? Fritz Leiber.

There were a whole series of these, but there were a couple of very thick omnibus editions published in the early 70s incorporating 2 or 3 books into 1, IIRC, and I think these were sub-titled "Tales of Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser" or similar.
Post edited at 23:12
 Al Evans 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Rob Naylor:

The Wierdstone of Brisingamen ?
 Kean 24 Jul 2015
In reply to pasbury:

A wizard of earthsea?
 Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2015
In reply to pasbury:

> I remember more about the physical form of the book - it seemed prodigiously thick to me at that tender age, it had a cover illustration that was grey and I think it had the word grey in the title though even that could be wrong.

Was it in the Restricted Section?
 ThunderCat 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Kean:

> A wizard of earthsea?

Ah, there's a memory. Must read that again.
 Bulls Crack 25 Jul 2015
In reply to Kean:

Neither this nor Wierdstone are obscure or very thick! That Graymouser sounds more likely

I'm presuming it want The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
 Rob Naylor 28 Jul 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Found it yet?
 mbh 28 Jul 2015
In reply to pasbury:

I had the Puffin Post from 1970-1975. The back cover of these used to show the front covers of a dozen forthcoming titles. I've just gone along memory lane (remember Flat Stanley? the Swallows and Amazons books, the John Christopher titles etc?) and looked at all my surviving copies, but I can't see anything that quite fits your bill.

Might it have been a compendium of Grimm's Fairy Tales? I bought a thick, grey Routledge paperback of this in 1984. or something on a Norse/Greek legends theme by Roger Lancelyn Green/C. Walter Hodges/Rosemary Sutcliff?

Or might it even have been one of the volumes of the Lord of the Rings? Have a look at images of Pauline Baynes illustrations to see if any of them jog your memory.

pasbury 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Rob Naylor:

No in spite of some excellent suggestions - I'm beginning to doubt my own memory and wondering if it actually was the Hobbit! But I really think I would recognise the cover and it doesn't match any 1970's Hobbit covers.
My memory of the cover is of a grey caped figure e.g. probably a wizard in front of a grey landscape. The size if my memory isn't totally defective is of a hardback about 2 inches thick.
In reply to pasbury:

It's not the prequel to 50 shades of Grey where a young Christian finds a dog lead and tube of KY in his mothers bedside drawer whilst looking for fairies is it?
 SuperstarDJ 29 Jul 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Lloyd Alexander - The Book of Three?

It's (I guess) a bit like the Hobbit, the age would be right and it was a big award winner in the 60's and 70's.

Very good it was too from what I remember.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...