UKC

...... GoPro?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 26 Jul 2015
Sick to death of hearing about GoPro so got a couple for the bike.... What am I missing?

I went with a K-Edge mount for the front that has the Edge1000 on top and the GoPro underneath coupled with a K-Edge seat rail mount for the rear. I then went out for a 124 mile ride.

Firstly, how the sod do you control them? I don't want one massive great big file with hours of footage, nor do I want to have to stop to press record every time I want footage or a picture. Do GoPro really expect me to fork out £70 for a big ugly remote? and if so can it control 2? and where on the bike is it safely meant to go?

Secondly, stopped off for lunch.... locked up the bike, quarter turned the Edge1000 into my back pocket then looked at the GoPro and thought I am going to spend 10 minutes with and allen key OR take them out of there shells and stick them in my pocket with the lens unprotected and vulnerable to scratching?

Compare that to my current Virb Elite set-up.... I can unclip them from there cradles in seconds, fully control them from the Edge1000 to start/stop recording and take pictures not only that I can overlay selected ride telemetry (speed/power/GPS etc) on the footage unlike GoPro.

Yes, I admit that the quality of the GoPro footage is a bit better than the Virb but I'd take the the extra functionality of the Virb over the GoPro any day.

So, what am I missing other than a fair few hundreds of £?

Edit: I currently upload all my activities to Garmin Connect which then sends them to Strava. How can I revoke access so it no longer links the 2 accounts.... nothing obvious as far as I can see.
Thanks
Post edited at 10:32

Dark-Cloud 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

Erm, should you not have considered all that before you shelled out a few hundred quid ?
OP Indy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Possibly, but I would have thought that these features would have been pretty standard.
Can I conclude from your answer that they in fact aren't?
 andy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:
I have Virbs for exactly those reasons - control it from my edge (or watch when skiing), easy to pop on and off, built in GPS and easy to swap batteries.
 The Potato 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

Sick to death of hearing about GoPro so got a couple

Whaaaat? That makes no sense, I'm sick of caravans but I'm sure as hell not going to go out and waste money on them just to go on a forum and bitch about it. You've clearly got more money than sense.
OP Indy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:
Another confirmation that GoPro doesn't offer these features?

Not quite..... if you saw 98.9% of people using 1 brand of item and then everyone going on (at length) about how good they were then it would be tempting to see what all the fuss was about. To then find out that it *appears* to be missing a number of extremely useful/essential features seems to be in direct conflict with the high regard that they are held in. So, what am I missing?

Post edited at 12:26
 Dark-Cloud 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

1/10 for effort, you are in fact a Troll who works for or sells Garmin, I claim my £5.........
 TobyA 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

> Another confirmation that GoPro doesn't offer these features?

Can't you, like, you know, go and read the instructions?
OP Indy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> Can't you, like, you know, go and read the instructions?

From the manual....
"The GoPro App lets you control your camera remotely using a smartphone or tablet"

Suppose the next question has to be how do I mount a tablet to my handlebars :|

Back to the Virb's
 Dark-Cloud 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

I would like to vote this as the strangest thread ever posted on the internet......
 balmybaldwin 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

Use the app... Can easily control 2 cameras, most mount then to helmet which eliminates your security problem. Can also set loop recording etc one touch record and a number of other options using the app or a PC or the onboard menu.

Can't for the life of me understand why you would spend the cash when you already have a setup that suits your needs
OP Indy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:
Thanks.... having an Edge1000 and a Galaxy Phone on the handle bars at the same time isn't really a goer to be honest especially as soonish I'll need to mount a front light. What *appears* to be a lack of a quick release seems bizarre for such expensive and nickable items. I originally mounted a Virb to my cycle helmet but found the footage it created almost unwatchable.

As I said everywhere you look people are using GoPro and going on about how good they are. Since the launch of the Virb I've seen less than 5 other people using them. I wanted to see if they were any good coupled with the Kids needing stuff to do over the holidays i.e a "my summer holiday video" along with vids to the grandparents abroad and its like kills 2 birds with 1 stone.
Post edited at 13:21
 ChrisJD 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:
You spent several hundred quid without deciding beforehand if the goods were what you want,when you already have a setup that works for you. You're angry with gopro.Shouldn't you instead be angry with yourself?
Post edited at 15:48
OP Indy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
This is utterly tiresome..... I'll ask one more time. ONE of the applications I wish to put a new pair of GoPro's to is recording the interesting bits on a LONG ride. These rides are longer than the battery or the memory card in a GoPro will last.

Is there a solution that doesn't entail me having to stop 50 times a ride to press record/stop so I can conserve both the battery and memory card to last a full LONG ride?

It has been suggested that buying a suitable smartphone, waterproof case and mount would solve my problem BUT the additional cost plus the clutter on my handlebars make it a non-starter.

I'm sure that there are people in this forum who use GoPro AND go on long rides if so is there a reasonable solution or is the sacrifice for better footage the lack of reasonable and safe controllability on a moving cycle?

Please no more links on how good GoPro is unless it answers the question I've asked
Thanks
Post edited at 17:01
 ChrisJD 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

You choose to start this thread with a rant and a WTF - so don't have a go at us lot!
OP Indy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

I'm not having a go at anyone it just seems utterly bizarre that an item that is so used in the cycle community has such a useful/essential feature missing.
 Sir Chasm 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

Worst ever "for sale" thread. But, as they're no use to you, I'll give you £20 the pair.
In reply to Indy:

What is utterly bizarre is that someone forks out hundreds of pounds without checking the spec then launches into a WTF rant tirade against the product that they chose to spend the cash on.
 ChrisJD 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

> This is utterly tiresome..... I'll ask one more time.

> Please no more links on how good GoPro is unless it answers the question I've asked

That's having a go (in my book)

OP Indy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

....and finally, it's interesting that "WTF" isn't acceptable in a posts title but "Dickhead" is..... errrr WTF?
 ChrisJD 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:
It's a forum - you rarely get exactly what you want
Post edited at 18:38
 La benya 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

Have you thought about a time lapse? That should make it last 6-8 hours. Using hyperlapse software turns the jumpy stop motion effect into a fluid, beautiful video.
 Morty 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I would like to vote this as the strangest thread ever posted on the internet......

You are frequenting the wrong (or right - depending on your viewpoint) forums mate. Some of the things I've seen... The horror, the horror...

But that's Knittingandneedlecraft UK for you.
Lusk 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

> Secondly, stopped off for lunch.... OR take them out of there shells and stick them in my pocket with the lens unprotected and vulnerable to scratching?

How about getting a couple of soft cases to put them in?!?!
You haven't really put much thought and effort into this, have you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...