UKC

NEWS: Three degrees of separation repeated by Ondra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Jul 2015
Adam Ondra  , 3 kbIn 2007, Chris Sharma made the first ascent of Three degrees of separation in the Biographie sector at Céüse, France. The only(?) way to get passed the three blank sections on the ~25m route is to dyno. Until now, no one has been able to repeat the route, and it's not due...

Read more
 nich959 27 Jul 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I'd been wondering when this route would be done for a while.... Sharma put it up ages ago, would it have been the hardest route in the world at the time?
 Brendan 27 Jul 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I remember hearing something about a hold breaking, making Three Degrees harder?
 stp 27 Jul 2015
In reply to nich959:

It's possible.

Sharma put up Es Pontas, the deep water solo across the arch, in 2006 and that was graded 9b. But IIRC I think Ethan Pringle figured out a static way to miss out the dyno so don't know if that would change the grade. There was also Chilam Balam from 2003 and Akira, the Fred Rouhling roof from 1995, both of which are graded 9b but may come down in grade at some point.

Anyway great effort by Ondra. I know he tried it some years ago but I wonder how much time he spent on it recently?

Be interesting to see if he gets back on Neanderthal later this year, another Sharma 9b that he's tried and may turn out to be really hard.
In reply to stp:

> It's possible.

> Sharma put up Es Pontas, the deep water solo across the arch, in 2006 and that was graded 9b

IIRC Sharma never gave Es Pontas a grade. 9b was just a wild guesstimate - proposed by that Jens chap who runs the 8a website - purely on the basis that it had not been repeated and Sharma took a while to RP it (to my mind, likely based more on the logistics of working it as much as its inherent difficulty).

stp 27 Jul 2015
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

Ah OK. Good point.

Of course there were also other 9a+s around at the time, Realization for example, that presumably Sharma thought was harder. Though Three Degrees does look like pretty much his ideal style of route.

Hope there's a video of Ondra doing it, preferably an unedited one. Even after all his successes he never fails to impress.

I wonder if he'll get on Megos's new 9a at Ceuse. That might turn out to be another very tough route for the grade.
 stp 28 Jul 2015
In reply to stp:

A video is here though not the best quality and only covers up to the first dyno...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3_YVu5B44&feature=youtu.be
 angry pirate 29 Jul 2015
In reply to stp:

That's incredible! He makes it look so easy (up to the dyno that is)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...