UKC

Help...RAT advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wainers44 29 Jul 2015
Some thoughts of the far wiser than me who inhabit this particular forum would be much appreciated....

So just over a week ago and unexpectedly having been 58th on the waiting list I got the invite to enter the RAT in Cornwall, 32 mile ultra in just over 2 weeks time. Great, really looking forward to it!

Then a week ago felt my calf tear and could hardly walk leave alone run. Now a week on walking fine but still a bit sore.

As I understand it I can defer my entry to next year if I do so in the next 48 hrs. Would be gutted but don't really want a DNF.

So can I still recover? What do you think. Any advice much appreciated!!
 Tom Last 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Wainers44:
Can't really help, but I just dropped out of the RAT 11 miler today after a sprain last week. I was kidding myself if I thought it was gonna get better in time.

I live close to the route and know it pretty well. The last 4 miles is pretty much the hardest terrain en route, if that means anything; although I bet pretty much. Anything would feel hard after 30 odd miles.

Best of luck whatever you do.
Post edited at 20:45
 Roadrunner5 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

If it was an actual tear, not a strain, I dont think you a chance. Sorry..

If its a very small tear then possibly.. But generally its 3-4 weeks minimum for an actual tear, normally longer.
OP Wainers44 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Cheers for the reply, sorry to hear you had to bale out. Think I may be heading the same way

Route looks really nice and I do enjoy running the coast path, but it may have to be another time!
OP Wainers44 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks for that. It's still painful and stretching seems to make no difference even though I rested it for nearly a week.

Have to decide one way or another tomorrow, but I think you have confirmed what the leg is telling me.....it's not going to be ready in time!!

Thanks again.
OP Wainers44 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:
After all the very useful advice I will find out on Saturday if my calf muscle was strained or torn!

Black Rat 32.5 mile on trails here I come, absolutely not ready or not.

First ultra, in fact never done a marathon, road or otherwise. However I have run around this distance a couple of times over worse terrain (non pathed bits of Dartmoor).

I don't want to be told how hard it is going to be as I can work that out, but any ultra newbie advice would be nice!!
Post edited at 19:48
OP Wainers44 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:
Ok so my calf muscle didn't make the trip! Popped after 5 miles and was pretty sore for the last 27 miles I suppose. However I still finished, first ultra, or marathon come to that. 126th out of 171 isn't last so I am pretty chuffed with that to be honest.

What a fantastic event, great organisation (Mud Crew), wonderful campsite and a really nice vibe from the other entrants, in fact from everyone concerned.

It got a bit warm in the sun yesterday, but I can't think of a better way to spend an August Saturday than eating a fruit pastelles ice lolly while running the south Cornwall Coast Path!

Calf is rather black now, but hey, it was worth it

mbh 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

Well done. It's a hard course.
 Tom Last 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:
Hi Wainers.

Well done, good effort for cracking on. I was out taking pics (mostly at the top of the last set of hideous steps about a mile before the finish) until about 2.30pm - but weren't that many black rat runners through by then. I can have a look though if you think you may have been, what number were you?

Tom
Post edited at 20:44
OP Wainers44 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

I was 697, from which you can work out that I got in at the last minute from the waiting list! Ah well no time to worry about training, even with a knackered calf!

Would have thought you were gone by the time I got there. I was still running down the hundreds of steps by then, but the running up was a distant memory....!!!
OP Wainers44 16 Aug 2015
In reply to mbh:

> Well done. It's a hard course.

And a beautiful one. Apart from a work visit to Pentewan years ago I have never really explored this bit of Cornwall. The beaches and paths are stunning, sea made for kayaks being so calm.
 Tom Last 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

Ha, got in by the skin of your teeth - I wondered how big the field was overall. I'll have a look anyway when I go through them later.

Good effort, glad you enjoyed this neck of the woods
OP Wainers44 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Cheers Tom, it was a great weekend. I have run stuff up to 30ish miles alone but this was the first race I have entered since I was 18, and I qualified for the MV50 class as of 3 weeks ago!!

My lack of race hardening showed early, when I didn't have anything to pin my race number to my shirt....doh...didn't think of that
 mountainbagger 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

> I can't think of a better way to spend an August Saturday than eating a fruit pastelles ice lolly while running the south Cornwall Coast Path!

They are good those lollies. Got some by accident in my shopping and loved them, especially after a long hot run!

Anyway, well done for getting it done, despite injury. I would have found it hard mentally if I wasn't 100%, so congrats and hats off to you!

mbh 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

You're right it is. We live in Bodmin but hadn't explored the area until I did the RAT two years ago, also as an MV50, and we've since walked and cycled it and stayed at Portscatho a couple of times. It's a very peaceful area.

First time, I got in just under 6 hours, but last year I DNF'd at 20 miles and this year I seem to be finding my distance limit at around 12 miles, following some breaks.

I know lots of the marshalls, and thought the organisation and atmosphere were great, and compared to the CQ, the feed stations are a feast.

See you on it next year!
 Wonrek 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

I was the sweep, wasn't it blinking hot!

Glad you enjoyed it, the MudCrew events are always something else, a lot of years of combined experience mean that they're put on my some of the most experienced ultra runners around
OP Wainers44 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Wonrek:
> I was the sweep, wasn't it blinking hot!

> Glad you enjoyed it, the MudCrew events are always something else, a lot of years of combined experience mean that they're put on my some of the most experienced ultra runners around

Well done to you too then, as it was boiling at times especially in the sheltered coves out of the breeze. I still can't quite get over just how well done and friendly it all was. I was made to feel genuinely welcome even as a newbie taking part on my own. If this is Mud Crews standard, then their standards are pretty booming high!!
Post edited at 20:54
 Wonrek 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

Come and have a go at the Arc.....

http://mudcrew.co.uk/event/arc-attrition/

OP Wainers44 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Wonrek:

> Come and have a go at the Arc.....

>

Hmmm, 100 miles in 36 hours in February? Just checked, but I am washing my hair that night otherwise.....
 Tom Last 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

Hi Wainers.

I checked, but I'm afraid I didn't get any pics of you, though I guess there were probably some race photographers knocking about somewhere. Anyway, sorry about that - hopefully I'll be out there running myself next year

Cheers,
Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...