UKC

Aviemore Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Buchanan 30 Jul 2015

I'm planning a wee trip up to Aviemore next weekend. Plan to stop at Laggan on the Friday evening for a short ride. On the Sunday I'm thinking of doing the Burma Road route in the "Wild Trails" book.

I'd be grateful if anyone has some good recommendations for a longer route on the Saturday? Would be great if it included Lairig Ghru descent as part of a longer circuit. Alternatively any big mountain routes?

Cheers,
Matt
Post edited at 22:10
 DaveHK 30 Jul 2015
In reply to BofA Matt:

Go to the summit of Macdui and descend to the Hutchy Hut. Return via the Lairig an Laoigh. Thats real big mountain riding.
OP Matt Buchanan 30 Jul 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Sounds good. Best route to Macdui on the bike?
 DaveHK 30 Jul 2015
In reply to BofA Matt:

The regular route fom the car park across below the Northern Corries is best. There's lots of carrying and its probably about an 8 hr day but the descent from the summit is superb.
In reply to BofA Matt:

That sounds brilliant Dave. If decent weather I'll try to persuade my mate to go for this. How techy is descent to the hut? Also is Lairig an Laoigh all rideable?

Cheers,
Matt

DaveHK 30 Jul 2015
In reply to BofA Matt

Descent to hut is mostly quite straightforward with a few harder bits (black+). Laoigh is a bit off-on.
In reply to BofA Matt:

Thanks mate - much appreciated.
Cryopeg 31 Jul 2015
In reply to BofA Matt:

You can download a .gpx for the Caringorms Loop here:

http://www.cairngormsloop.net/map.html

It might give you some inspiration.
OP Matt Buchanan 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Matt Buchanan:

Does anyone have any recent beta on Carn Ban Mor descent? I heard it had been ruined by path work a couple of years ago.
 TomPollock 02 Aug 2015
Call in to Bothy Bikes when you're in Aviemore. They did Carn Ban Mor on one of their Wednesday Evening rides back in June.
 DaveHK 03 Aug 2015
> (In reply to Matt Buchanan)
>
> Does anyone have any recent beta on Carn Ban Mor descent? I heard it had been ruined by path work a couple of years ago.

Its not what it was too many water bars.
 shantaram 03 Aug 2015

I have heard from friends that the 'Burma Road' ride in the Wild Trails guidebook is pretty rubbish. They are competent and experienced mountain bikers whose opinion I value. However I haven't done it myself so hopefully someone who has done the ride will come along and comment. The nearby Glen Feshie ride in the Wild Trails guidebook is pretty darn good though and I can strongly recommend that for a half day.
 Bob 03 Aug 2015
In reply to shantaram:

Have they repaired the bridge near Glen Feshie lodge yet? We had to backtrack down the glen to cross much closer to the car park.
 TomPollock 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:

The bridge just north of Glenfeshie Lodge hasn't been replaced (about 5 years since it was washed away). It is possible to ford the river about 2 1/2 kms. south of the lodge. The ford is used by estate vehicles. It's quite wide and water comes up to your knees. Not normally a problem but I'm not sure I would chance it after sustained heavy rain.
If you fancy some nice low level singletrack I've mapped out the trails in Inshriach Forest.

http://www.bikefestscotland.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/InschriachFore...

Bob 03 Aug 2015
In reply to TomPollock:

Ta for that info. Last I heard was that the estate were putting in/waiting for planning permission to reinstate the bridge, this may or may not have been the case but it seems that they are in no rush to do anything.

I've done a bit through Inshriach Forest but not sure how any of it relates to your map! Some shots here if you can put me out of my misery - http://bobwightman.co.uk/bike/slideshow.php?s=glenfeshie
 shantaram 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:
We forded the river by the lodge by the old bridge. Knee deep and not too bad in a dry July (2 years ago!).
Post edited at 23:17
OP Matt Buchanan 09 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

We did MacDui route this weekend. Great day out!

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,
Matt
 DaveHK 09 Aug 2015

Nice one.
OP Matt Buchanan 09 Aug 2015

We also did the Burnside trails this morning. Brilliant if very techy singletrack. Worth doing if looking for a short ride around Aviemore. The guys in Bothy Bikes were very helpful with route advice.
 DR 10 Aug 2015

How long did it take you Matt? And how hard in a red/ black grade kind of way? Heading up that way next week and it sounds like a good one.

Cheers,
Davie
OP Matt Buchanan 10 Aug 2015
In reply to DR:

Hi Davie,

Macdui took us just over 8 hours. The route we did had some great descents but lots of pushing/carrying. Grade wise I suppose black but hard to compare to trail centres. Great day out. Having spoken to the guys at Bothy Bikes there are other route options that would require less carrying. They suggested up Bynack Mor, down to Loch Avon following boundary line shown on map, push along the loch then over to Loch Etchachan, push up Macdui then ride all the way down to ski centre. I'm keen to try this another time. They also recommended up Carn Ban Mor and descend from bealach between that and Sgor Gaoith. Sounds great as well. I'd go into the shop for advise before riding if I was you. I can't wait to go back!

Cheers,
Matt
 Pids 10 Aug 2015

> We also did the Burnside trails this morning. Brilliant if very techy singletrack. Worth doing if looking for a short ride around Aviemore. The guys in Bothy Bikes were very helpful with route advice.

Can you advise where these are, up there this weekend and may manage a wee break from the kids to get a blast on something
 DaveHK 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Pids:

Burnside is west of the A9 at Aviemore. Use Strava heatmap to find the trails or ask at Bothy Bikes.
 DaveHK 10 Aug 2015

> They suggested up Bynack Mor, down to Loch Avon following boundary line shown on map, push along the loch then over to Loch Etchachan, push up Macdui then ride all the way down to ski centre.

That route still involves a LOT of carrying.
In reply to DaveHK:

Yeah, still lots of carrying but sounds like some great descents. It seems like there are lots of great options there worth exploring.
 DaveHK 10 Aug 2015

I think they're pulling your plonker with that one Matt. You'd mainly be pushing and carrying from the end of Loch A'an to the top of Macdui. I love a bit of hike-a-bike but that's about 8k in one go. A mate (who likes to carry his bike even more than me) has done a variation of that and it melted his head! There are better ways to get those descents I think.
In reply to DaveHK:

Good to have your input Dave. The chap was very enthusiastic about it and said he had done it the day before. Maybe I misunderstood his description. I'll check with my mate who was with me. Either way I still reckon the route you recommended is a classic. The descent from the summit of Macdui down to Lairig an Laoigh was an absolute belter.
 DaveHK 10 Aug 2015

It's one of the best in the country. Might need to go do it again sometime soon!
 DR 13 Aug 2015

Thanks Matt. I'm on my tod over the weekend so might leave that one for some company.

Cheers
Davie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...