UKC

LOST: Motivation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 31 Jul 2015
After driving up to the Peak last night, arriving at 1am and bivying in one of the Burbage South quarries, I awoke this morning to find my desire to climb had disappeared. I suspect it may have fallen out of my bag in the quarry while I was fumbling around for the stove. If anyone finds it, can you please return it ASAP? I need to find it before a trip to Swanage on Sunday...

On a more serious note though, having just made a 300 mile round trip to make a couple of half-arsed moves on a handful of V. Diffs and give up (having not climbed one single route), does anyone else have stupid stories of unproductive climbing trips, to make me feel better? Points are scored based on the distance travelled and the number of moves made.
 The Pylon King 31 Jul 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

Yeah, Bristol to North wales, then decided couldn't be arsed.
 NottsRich 31 Jul 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

"That rock" in the Northern Corries, too many times.

This summer is doing in my motivation!
 girlymonkey 31 Jul 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

From Stirling, headed with a friend to do Square Face. Left at the crack of dawn, cycled up to the bottom of the footpath to the Sneck, walked up to the Sneck, down to the route...and couldn't be bothered. We climbed it, but I just seconded the whole day, had no physch for it. I did enjoy it on a second, but couldn't be bothered with a lead and was happy to go home at the end of the day.
Other unproductive one was weather related. Managed to keep a week free last summer (a rare occurrence), and my husband and I decided we would head up and stay with some friends who had recently moved to Assynt, get a week of big mountaineering and climbing done. So we did the 5 hour drive up....and hurricane Bertha hit! When the roads had cleared enough, we started making our way back down the country, catching up with friends and trying to chase hopeful forecasts. We got one day of climbing that week....in Northumberland!!! It was a great day, I loved it, but it was a long way from where we had started the week!
aultguish 31 Jul 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

Let's just say 'Skye'.......many times.
aultguish 31 Jul 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

I'm awaiting the obvious now..lol
 Mark Collins 31 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Indeed
 alan moore 01 Aug 2015
In reply to tehmarks:
I was once in Aviemore on a sunny day and free to go climbing; a coincidence that has happened once, this lifetime. I made the 3 hour walk in to do Scabbard and sat lacing up my shoes in sublime anticipation.
I got three feet up the first pitch and chickened out. I got 10 feet up Djabanji and was too frightened to move. Finally I got 50 feet up the scramble entry to the right before wetting my pants.
At this point, a pair came toiling up to do Talisman and said " are you doing a bit of bouldering?"
I spat some blood and went, utterly dejected, back across the platea with the hot, September sun burning on my stupid bald head and vowed to give up climbing forever.

Does this work for you?
 Michael Gordon 01 Aug 2015
In reply to alan moore:

>
> Does this work for you?

Nah, chickening out is part of the game when soloing
 Yanis Nayu 01 Aug 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

I drove a 268 mile round trip to second one 20m severe at Shining Clough. The walk-in is about an hour each way as well. Had no oomph at all.
 phja 01 Aug 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

Alps a couple of weeks ago. Drove all the way to Chamonix with many ideas of what we could do. Got there, moaned about the heat and the Helbronner lift being closed. Slacked it off and headed to Saas Fee. Tried to climb the Breithorn in horrible horrible snow, decided after that nightmare that we'd had enough. Icing on the cake being flashed by speed camera in Switzerland. Rubbish trip, no motivation at all to stay there an try other stuff. Came back to England and had more fun climbing at Windgather for the day than we had the entire time in the alps.
 Michael Gordon 01 Aug 2015
In reply to phja:

Sounds very familiar! Quite a few memories of trips to Chamonix in crap weather. Scotland beats it every time.
Andy Gamisou 01 Aug 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

The mods are usually pretty pro-active in moving threads in the wrong category. Not sure why yours has been overlooked. Anyways - why shouldn't your motivation fall under the auspices of 'crag swag'? If I find it I'll keep it - pretty sure I need it more than you.
OP tehmarks 01 Aug 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

Tongue-in-cheek presumably, as I'm struggling to understand how it could be considered to be in the wrong category? If you find my motivation you're welcome to it! It's temperamental and needs replacing with a better model. Sadly Outside were all out of motivation when I popped in for breakfast.
OP tehmarks 01 Aug 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Aha, there we go. The perfect excuse
 joan cooper 01 Aug 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Don't be mean we had 2 lovely days this summer.
In reply to tehmarks:

Literally every time the alarm goes at 3am to go winter climbing.
 Robert Durran 01 Aug 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Anyways - why shouldn't your motivation fall under the auspices of 'crag swag'?

Because he said it was lost, not knowingly abandoned.

Mike-W-99 01 Aug 2015
In reply to phja:

Should have gone round to Grimsel, the granite has been ace this year.
 chris687 01 Aug 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

The Crag - The hospital
Recover
The Crag - The hospital
and once again.
It wears thin...
aultguish 01 Aug 2015
In reply to joan cooper:

To be fair Joan, everytime I go on my own, it's lovely clear blue skies......whenever I take friends and clients, well, there's only so many times you can go see dinosaur footprints lol
OP tehmarks 01 Aug 2015
In reply to chris687:

Trips to the hospital - plural!? That sounds pretty rubbish. What'd you do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...