UKC

Hilly ride ideas- Northumbeland area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 02 Aug 2015
Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Avi
 coinneach 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

It's a big county . . . . Give us some start / finish points?
In reply to coinneach:

None spring to mind. I live in Newcastle and can drive to most starting points
 Lemony 02 Aug 2015

How hilly would you like:
https://www.strava.com/routes/2042430
 Chris Murray 02 Aug 2015

Hexham to Penrith over the Alston Tilt Block is nice...
In reply to Lemony:

Great! I can certainly use some of those segments!

Too many brilliant rides to go through them all.

A circuit of the Simonside hills packs a fair bit of punch in to 27 miles -- It used to be my old club's 'Mountain' Time Trial course back in the 60's. You can start and finish anywhere convenient on the route, but our course started at Rothley Cross Roads and tackled the climbs of Coldrife and Garleigh Moor before dropping down in to Rothbury and heading up the Coquet Valley through Thropton when the climbing starts in earnest. There's the innocuous looking sod of 'the one before Billsmoor', then Billsmoor, before dropping down to Elsdon then climbing the Gibbet. From there a fast and exciting straight road ( with some severe dips) leads mostly downhill towards Rothley.

For a longer ride you could always follow the Tyneside Vagabonds 'Mountain' course that started in Rothbury and followed the main road through Belsay, over the Ottercops to Elsdon, before reversing the above route and finishing in Ponteland. About 67 miles!

For an epic you could always do the Tynemouth, Newcastle, Corbridge, Hexham, Carts Bog, Whitfield, Alston, Nenthead, Killhope Moor, Stanhope, Crawleyside, Edmundbyers, Carterway Heads, Shotley Bridge, Gateshead, then back to the start at Tynemouth. 120 miles and it takes you over the highest 'A' road in Britain at 2056 ft above sea level. Think I was about 18 when I did that one on a steel bike with only 12 gears 52/46 on the front and 13 - 26 on the back.

Enjoy.
 Lemony 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

I reckon that first ride's best (and it is bloody brilliant) if you start from Bellingham. Over Vomit Hill through east woodburn to elsdon, round the route you describe, climb gibbet again and back via Knowesgate. Bit winding but it flows really well.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Lemony:

Thanks, sounds good

I don't think I will ever been able to ride more than 40-50 miles at a go in the near future, so bits of those are great
 Lemony 03 Aug 2015
For a 50-ish mile version of the pennines ride start from hexham, ride to corbridge, climb over prospect hill then over to broomley, up to whittonstall, down to edmondbuyers, over to stanhope, the high road to rookhope, over to blanchland and back to hexham.

Still pretty hilly and still a fantastic ride but only about 51 miles.

edit: like so: https://www.strava.com/routes/2982624
Post edited at 10:33
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Lemony:

Thanks (and sorry for poor grammar in previous reply!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...