UKC

Secluded Southern Sandstone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 05 Aug 2015
Standen Rocks, 5 kbTom Gore gives an insight into some of the lesser-known and lesser-travelled Southern Sandstone spots. Escape the crowds and try out somewhere new!

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

Nice one Tom, Looks good!
 leewil86 05 Aug 2015
great article tom!
 CJS1984 06 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

Went to Bassett's Farm a couple of months ago. Looked nothing like the picture here - all overgrown with plants growing out of most of the holds and a lot of trees on top, some of which were quite suspect - after much debate we got back in the car as we would have done more harm than good if we had pulled on
crow 14 Aug 2015
In reply to CJS1984:

Similar story at Mount Edgcumbe rocks this week - can't get to any of the climbs on the lower tier due to brambles and nettles.

Pretty much the only climable bit is on the upper tier on the bit with the blue graffiti.

Was tempted to go back and do a bit of gardening myself but I know we aren't supposed to do this - anyone have any idea who is responsible for the upkeep of the area below the rocks? Council?
 CurlyStevo 14 Aug 2015
In reply to CJS1984:
I have to say having spent the previous 4 years trying to climb southern sandstone it's often quite disappointing. If you really do limit your self to climbs that are dry its basically the same old climbs at the same old crags that are actually in condition most of the time. Even last summer was disappointing as the winter had been so wet the crags never actually dried out as much as you'd expect for the great weather we had. I've only ever seen the more slow drying areas of crags / whole crags dry out for very limited periods quite rarely.
Post edited at 17:49
Removed User 14 Aug 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Absolutely true.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...