UKC

DIGITAL FEATURE: Jeff Mercier and Nick Bullock - Rive Gauche

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 05 Aug 2015
Jeff Mercier and Nick Bullock: Rive Gauche, 4 kb

British climber Nick Bullock meets his French counterpart Jeff Mercier at the Rive Gauche - Argentiere Glacie..., a steep mixed climbing crag in France.

Overcoming past differences, the unlikely pair team up for a desperate and nail-biting route.

With good humoured rivalry, Bullock attempts to onsight one of Jeff's hardest climbs, but as he sketches his way high above his last runner, Mercier looking on in amusement, Bullock has to consider, has this been the ultimate sandbag?!

Read more

Please report any technical problems you have with this format here, thanks.
 bensilvestre 05 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

Excellent, more of these please! Good effort Nick I felt slightly sick watching that!

Excellent!
 Morgan Woods 05 Aug 2015

Wow.....gripping climbing from NB.
 alastairbegley 05 Aug 2015

outstanding!
 manwithacam 05 Aug 2015

At last, some truly exciting climbing footage, its been a while... loved it, inspiring, thanks
 Misha 05 Aug 2015
Thanks, well put together and interesting background on the 'rivalry'.

Ramon Marin 05 Aug 2015

Fantastic feature! I'd love to get on that route...
 Wee Davie 05 Aug 2015

These feature articles are superb.
 AdamCB 06 Aug 2015

Fantastic. Just wondering really, given how dry it looks, would this be easier in rock shoes? Or does the nature of the rock make having front points more useful?
 Wft 06 Aug 2015

enjoyed that, thanks for making it
 Michael Ryan 06 Aug 2015

Good job Jack and Nick, Nick. Really enjoyed that.

M
 Robert Durran 06 Aug 2015

Fantastic film! Found the reporting style a bit too "tabloid". Still find the format a bit irritating.
 Michael Ryan 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Still find the format a bit irritating.

Why?

It's a fairly well established format - the nyt, guardian and others use it - for a long read and many enjoy it.

I like the full screen approach mixing photos, videos and well-edited succinct text. I haven't got all day like most and find this presentation very pleasing.

Well done UKC.

In reply to Michael Ryan:
> Why?

> It's a fairly well established format.

I'd just find it more convenient to scroll the whole thing up and down like other articles. I'm not sure what is gained by it.

> I haven't got all day.

I actually put off looking at it for a day because I couldn't tell immediately how time consuming it would be.
Well worth the wait though!
Post edited at 13:26
 Michael Ryan 06 Aug 2015

> I'd just find it more convenient to scroll the whole thing up and down like other articles.

You can go side to side, like turning a page of a book, or scroll down to get the next page, but not continuous.

I bet you like text based guidebooks too!

It would be easy to do two versions though and please most.

> You can.......... scroll down to get the next page.

Can't make it do that.

> I bet you like text based guidebooks too!

No idea how you wrongly deduce that from my preference for scrolling down over using arrows to go left and right!
 Tom Briggs 06 Aug 2015

That's brilliant. The filming by Nick Brown is superb, considering he's better known for filming bouldering! I was just waiting for the axes to rip.... gripping.
 Marek 06 Aug 2015

> You can go side to side, like turning a page of a book, or scroll down to get the next page, but not continuous.

At the risk of repeating stuff from the 'other' thread, the problem here is that unless you are on a hi-res landscape monitor (or perhaps an iPad) the pages don't fit in the window, so you end up have to scrolling *and* flick pages. From a UI perspective that's not nice. One or the other is fine, but not both.
 Tom Last 06 Aug 2015

Liked that a lot, very much a page turner.

A great improvement on the last one in every respect.
 Michael Ryan 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Marek:

I'm sure UKC are aware of that. You can't please every device -
 Marek 07 Aug 2015

> I'm sure UKC are aware of that.
They are.

> You can't please every device -
... but you should please the (arguably) most popular one.
If you believe Ofcom:
"Smartphones are considered the most important device for accessing the internet (33% of
internet users in Q1 2015), closely followed by laptops (30%)."
 Robert Durran 07 Aug 2015
In reply to Marek:
> ... but you should please the (arguably) most popular one. If you believe Ofcom: "Smartphones are considered the most important device for accessing the internet (33% of internet users in Q1 2015), closely followed by laptops (30%)."

But if there is a point to the new glossy format, is it not that these special articles should be worth viewing properly on a big screen (this one certainly is!) and that it should be worth waiting for the chance to do that if you are a smartphone user? Anyway, I don't have a smartphone but still have to scroll the individual pages a bit on my laptop - which is a little irritating.
Post edited at 11:55
 greg_may_ 09 Aug 2015

Excellent, thanks for that.
 useful 11 Aug 2015

Adding my +1 to the _format_ of this article: kind-of magazine meets digital media enhancements. It's exciting and absorbing, drawing you in. Although disclosure: I've skipped through and admired the pics, but I haven't had time to read the article fully yet... Looking forward to it a second time!
 Jon de Leyser 28 Aug 2015

Superb. Please continue the digital features!
 Paul249 20 Oct 2015

That was excellent. As someone mentioned above, real nail biting stuff! Really got a sense of how drained and tense he was. The "wanker" comment at the end had me burst out laughing, as I think it had a lot more edge to it than he maybe intended!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...