UKC

Grivel Crash Pad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 daftendirekt 06 Aug 2015
Hey all,

Looking to get a new pad to go alongside my ageing Franklin and found the aptly named 'Grivel Crash Pad'. Its insanely cheap at ~£80 depending on where you look, im guessing the quality is why? I mean, its bigger in total dimensions than a lot of ~£140 pads.

Ive searched the forums for mentions of it prior. A few people say its shite, but for no real reason. Anyone who actually owns one got any comments?
 tinytom 06 Aug 2015
In reply to daftendirekt:

If its the same one that I bought last weekend it seems fine. But ive only used it once.

Also, its £69.99 from go outdoors if you already have a discount card

I've not seen this one for less that 90 but been keeping an eye on it. Looks like a good one! I really need to get a Go Outdoors card it seems.
OP daftendirekt 06 Aug 2015

Made a little graph (cause who doesnt like graphs);

http://i.imgur.com/LYbjZyf.png

Not accounting for layers or quality of foam, the total dimensions against price for this mat is just miles ahead. Price for Grivel on here accounts for not having a Go Outdoors card as well (they're a tenner right?).

Could pick 2 of these up for 15 quid cheaper than a Moon Warrior. (should note the price for the Snap Bun is wrong on this graph add a tenner)
 Webster 06 Aug 2015

i have it, its perfectly fine, no complaints. but im hardly a hard-core boulderer. it may lack some of the features of a more expensive pad but it lacks nothing in its primary purpose of being a crash mat! probably the best value pad out there.
 tinytom 06 Aug 2015

Discount cards are a fiver so that's 75 total without a card

I love a graph. Thank you!
 leewil86 19 Aug 2015

its a mat it will be fine the quality i.e stitching and material may not be like some of the top end stuff but it will do a job and that job is....... keeping your boots clean and keeping your ankles intact.
 mrchewy 19 Aug 2015

I've had one a couple of years now. It's lasting okay and it's an easy and lightweight carry on it's own. I use it with a Snap Taco, the fold in the Grivel is handy for draping over lumps of rock. No complaints really.
Ysgo 20 Aug 2015

The main price difference between pads is quality of the foam. The most expensive pads use an extremely good quality foam which last a lot longer. I'll warrant that a Grivel pad would last half as long as a DMM or Snap pad, which in turn will last half as long as an Organic pad. It's all in the foam.
 Oliver Houston 21 Aug 2015

We've had one for a year or two, had to downsize from a SNAP burrito, which would not fit in our car/house...

As other's have said, it's basic, but fits in car boots and carries very easily (NB. the buckle makes a great bottle opener, useful to know after spending half an hour trying to open a beer with a coin). Also you can put it either way up, so the bit against your back doesn't have to get dirty.
Granted, it might not last as long as a DMM etc. And I wouldn't want to drop 20' onto it (unless it was on three feet of soft wet lakeland grass). But if you're not going to be using it much, then does it matter?

P.s. We use ours about once a week in winter, prob less than once a month in summer and the foam still feels fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...