UKC

Fun Almscliff V2/3s (or 5/5+/6a)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kieran_John 06 Aug 2015

I've gone through the Guide book and ticked off a few 5/5+ problems (I think that's V1/V2). I've never really done that much bouldering here though, are there any lower grade gems that I might be missing?

I've mostly stuck around low man on the few visits I've made.

::quick edit:: I'm off tonight, fairly late so I'll only have an hour to squeeze in some climbing
Post edited at 14:01
 Wizzy 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Crucifix (5)
Crucifix arête (6a)
Out of pocket (5)
Scruff (5+)
Pebble frog (5)
Nose bag (6a)
North top corner (4)
The scoop (highball 5+)
Tumbledown (5)
Morrels wall left (6a)
Morrells wall (6a)

That's a good start!
OP Kieran_John 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Wizzy:
That's getting sent straight to the work printer now. Thanks

::quick edit:: I ticked Tumbledown last time, I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest. Whereabouts is "Scruff"? Doesn't seem to be on the database.

I've just quickly added on names of the areas so I can find 'em quickly tonight, which should anyone find this in the archive and be interested are:

CRUCIFIX BOULDERING
Crucifix (5)
Crucifix arête (6a)

NORTH BOULDER
Out of pocket (5)

CD BOULDER 9 - WEDGE BOULDER
Pebble frog (5)
Nose bag (6a)

THE VIRGIN BOULDER
North top corner (4)
The scoop (highball 5+)

END BOULDER - MORRELL'S WALL
Morrels wall left (6a)
Morrells wall (6a)
Post edited at 15:06
 daftendirekt 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Teaspoon Variation- 6a
Backhander - 6a (on the boulder nearest the farm)
Pork Chop Slab - 5+ (near everest boulder)
Slap and Traction - 6a+ (opposite Marley Bob)
Central Route Direct - 5+ (on the back of the virgin, really nice)
Snappy Roof - 6a (behind the virgin on the left of the cave)
Matterhorn - 5+ (bit highball)
Short Arse - 6a (on the prow opposite the Egg)

Have a go at the Flying Arete if youre feeling brave. Its quality and if youre heads on straight, feels like a scary 6a+ more than a 6b.
In reply to daftendirekt:

Did Matterhorn and Pork Chop Slab (and the traverse, Three Swings?) last time I was there, which was my first proper look at Almscliff bouldering.

I may wait to have a go on Flying Arete, I quite like highballs but I always prefer them with a spotter, I find I'm a lot braver

Thanks again guys.
 daftendirekt 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Nice man! Matterhorn is pretty sick. Ive just started getting a feel for Almscliff. Its quickly becoming a favourite place to go though, being new to grit.

I dont know if youre on facebook, but theres a group on there called "Communal Climbing - Yorkshire". I met lots of people and meet up with them quite often, all really nice. Join the group if youre looking to get out more, or send me a message and id be happy to show you some stuff!
In reply to daftendirekt:

I occasionally climb with a couple of people but they're mostly in to trad, which I don't mind but I tend to prefer to boulder? My climbing time is pretty limited and I can get more done. I'd love to meet a few more people that boulder in the area.

Also thanks for the lists folks, I ticked Crucifix, Pebble Frog, Pork Chop, Snappy Roof (twisted ankle on first try, awkward landing on badly placed mat, loved the problem though, largely positive all the way) and had a try at Backhander which I really liked, despite being short, but had a couple of tumbles very nearly in to the barb wire fence so it's one I'll go back to with a spotter.

Got up most on The Virgin but I didn't like the look of the down climb so didn't top any (I'm rubbish at down climbing, I'd have been stuck forever at the top of Crucifix if not for a friendly bunch of people who moved my mat and pointed me in the right direction).

Thanks for the lists, plenty to go back to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...