UKC

buying a mountain bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking on here alot of the advice is "wait till the end of the season and get a deal as they clear stock for the new model"..

So my question is when is the end of the season!! It seems less obviously a season than skiing, fpotball, winter climbing... when should i be looking to buy to get the best deal?
 Phil79 12 Aug 2015
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Late August and early September the manufactures generally start shipping out new models to supplies/shops, and they start discounting 'last years' models at that point.

Stuff is generally discounted right through to next spring as they try to shift stock, but the best deals seem to crop up early on (September).
 AlisonSmiles 12 Aug 2015

Who knows - Cookson Cycles (Whitefield) and Wild Bikes (Warrington) have already started advertising 2015 stock on sale.
 the sheep 12 Aug 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
Evans cycles have a few 2015 models on offer
 phil kujawa 12 Aug 2015

Try "Paul's cycles" it's online but you can collect but it's down in Norfolk , I have had 2 bikes from them and both delivered without any problems or "Orange" factory in Halifax have ex demo's depending on what you want.
So basically i need to start looking now

phil kujawa 12 Aug 2015

You could also buy the latest MBR magazine to check out what's on offer usually full of discounted bikes or "chainreactioncycles" online
 AlisonSmiles 13 Aug 2015

Planet X's e-mail of the day suggests they too are selling end of season stock. Sheffield in store as well as electronically.
 JamButty 13 Aug 2015

I got good deals on both a road bike and MB mid Oct, but options were getting thin on the ground, so I'd aim for the next six weeks or so

In reply to JamButty:

So now i need make the hardtail vs full sus decision

Then 26 vs 27.5 vs 29er

Then finally whether to keep the little bell you get
KevinD 13 Aug 2015

> Then 26 vs 27.5 vs 29er

dont forget 27.5+ and 29+

AlisonSmiles 13 Aug 2015

Or 650B+, or fat bike. Carbon, Aluminium, Steel or Titanium?
Bottle cage or camelback?
Bell for the win!
Retail therapy rocks.
aultguish 13 Aug 2015

My brain is starting to fry already, I'm moving over to the dark side but not until November......I've got two MOTs to get done between now and then!
Since moving to the Trossachs, it seems to be mountain bike heaven
 gethin_allen 13 Aug 2015
In reply to phil kujawa:

> Try "Paul's cycles" it's online but you can collect but it's down in Norfolk , I have had 2 bikes from them and both delivered without any problems or "Orange" factory in Halifax have ex demo's depending on what you want.

I've bought from Paul's Cycles in the past and had good service. When I got my bike they had a lot of very heavily reduced 2 year old models which are very attractive as long as you're not chasing the latest fads.
 gethin_allen 13 Aug 2015

> So now i need make the hardtail vs full sus decision

> Then 26 vs 27.5 vs 29er

> Then finally whether to keep the little bell you get

Short travel full sus I say.

But how many rings do you want up front? I've seen a load of people going for a single with a broad range rear 11 cassette.
 itsThere 13 Aug 2015

I got a bike from Evans about a month ago at the start of the sale 10% off, now about 20% off. If you have the money just do it, if you think about it too much the offer will end. It's much more fun having a bike than no bike.

How much do you want to spend?
KevinD 13 Aug 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

> I've seen a load of people going for a single with a broad range rear 11 cassette.

Those are generally still only the very top end bikes. Those cassettes and mechs are insanely expensive (even the extension ones).
Slowly moving down through the price brackets but wallet emptying at the moment. I would hope they live a lot longer than normal cassettes.

Got to keep the bell, essential trail kit.
 gethin_allen 14 Aug 2015
In reply to KevinD:

Fair enough, I've not been looking a mtb kit much recently since I now ride road bikes mostly and my mtb has a 3x 9 setup that rarely gets used.
It's even has 26 " wheels which seem to be terribly old fashioned today.
 Bob 14 Aug 2015
In reply to KevinD:

There's a wide price range in the 1x systems. True if you go the dedicated systems like SRAM's XX1 where the cassette alone is £200 then they are expensive, very expensive for what in the case of the cassette is a consumable. I think the full system is over a grand at shop prices.

However it's perfectly possible to get a 1x10 system for the same price as the more normal 3x ones. The usual method is to take a 10 speed XT cassette, remove the 17T cog and put an extender cog on the end - I've a Hope 40 TRex which costs £47. Against that you don't need a front derailleur or shifter which saves around £50. The Narrow-wide single ring chainset is close enough to the same price as the 3 ring one to call it even. You don't need a special rear mech so that's even cost as well.

I've run a 1x10 setup on my hardtail for 15 months, I doubt I'd go back. I've replaced the entire drivetrain once but I have done 3500Km of riding on it. I changed the chain at 1500Km and the full system (though not the extender) at about 3000Km. You do get heavier wear on the chainring as all the wear is on one rather than spread between three. I don't use the extender much (it's aluminium rather than steel) so I reckon it will last another cassette after this one which would make its effective cost £16 per cassette.

YMMV of course

I reckon I lose about 1.5 ratios at top and bottom compared to a 3x10 drivetrain but it depends on what size chainring I fit. I just like the simplicity of it - starting to spin out then go up a gear, starting to grind then drop a gear. There's no wondering whether to shift the front then compensate for the huge difference by moving through the cassette. Also not having a front shifter makes room for the dropper post remote!
 AlisonSmiles 14 Aug 2015
In reply to KevinD:

The Alpkit trail bike is looking to be a single with a rear 11 cassette. Might be worth keeping an eye on.
OK.... I seem to have it down to

Scott Spark 760 https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/238191008/bike-spark-760-l/

Or the Goutdoors Calibre bossnut http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-full-sus-mountain-bike-p347143

trying to work out if gooutdoors add stuff on if buying a discounted bike on cycle to work scheme as go outdoors one is reduced to £999. All selling the scott seem to add on money to the 1040ish price but gooutdoors doesn't say they do.
Post edited at 23:52

Anyone seen the go outdoors bike in stores to try out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...