UKC

Shoulder cuff injury recovery time?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 18 Aug 2015
As long as a piece of string I imagine!

GP gave me naproxen and a shoulder stretch sheet but not much idea of recovery time. I'd put the pain at about 1.5-2 out of 10 so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Any indicative range for recovery times? Getting fatter and weaker by the day while laying off climbing
 seankenny 18 Aug 2015
In reply to iksander:

I've found doing the right sort of exercises, either with a theraband or light weights, helps a lot and should get everything going in the right direction in a few weeks.

But really, see a physio and do what they say.
 steveliput 18 Aug 2015
In reply to seankenny:

dislocated mine in Jan. Take it slowly, and see a physio

takes 12 months for full recovery. ~4 months to get back to about normal
 mark s 18 Aug 2015
In reply to iksander:

Took me 6 months each side
crisp 18 Aug 2015
In reply to iksander:

I was treated at my local hospital in Italy, painkillers including opiates incase the pain was really bad! and then 10 consequtive days of physio and ultrasound. My shoulder was back to normal within a few weeks of treatment.
 riddle 18 Aug 2015
In reply to iksander:

Shoulder cuff? Do you mean the deltoid or rotator cuff is injured? If it is the rotator cuff, have you injured the common tendon or one of the muscles?

If it is the tendon, it could be months/years to full recovery. If it is the muscle it could be 6 weeks+ depending on the injury. Recovery time depends on many things, rehabilitation program, diet, severity of injury, etc etc. The recovery time can be reduced with massage, and good rehabilitation, diet, and hydration.

There is no need to get weaker or fatter, just train (rehab) within a pain free range of motion. This could mean using bands, or weights rather than heading to the wall.

Find your nearest soft tissue therapist and get some treatment, unless you can reach the injury site yourself. In which case massage the sore fibres, if you cannot reach the site easily consider using a tennis ball against a wall or floor.
Removed User 18 Aug 2015
In reply to iksander:

Get yourself to a good physio, at least once is worth it. Healing time will depend on the extent of injury and how much effort you put in for the recovery.
 Chris Harris 18 Aug 2015
In reply to iksander:

Depends what you've done. From my perspective:

Left shoulder: 3½ years, "natural" recovery, assisted by physio, steroid injections etc.

Right shoulder: Rather than waiting 3½ years, went for surgery after 1½ years. This was a few weeks ago, outcome tbc.
 Paul16 27 Aug 2015
In reply to iksander:

I agree with those suggesting a massage therapist. You may find, as I did, that the shoulder pain is caused by a tight muscle pulling your shoulder blade slightly out of alignment and causing an impingement. A therapist will work on releasing the tightness and getting your shoulder back into balance.

One thing I have learned from my injury is that shoulders are bloody complicated and need taking care of!
 cragrat 27 Aug 2015
In reply to iksander:

6 months to 2 years according to severity is what my physio told me. Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...