UKC

time for some lights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 18 Aug 2015
Now the evenings are starting to draw in I'm thinking of getting some good lights. LED and battery technology seems to get better and cheaper all the time so I could do with some up to date advice. Good enough light for MTB fast fire trail rides or road bike rides on country lanes up to 4 hours, not to heavy and self contained (no cables or separate batteries). And of course not too expensive. Any recommendations?
 Bob 18 Aug 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

One thing with MTB lights is that they don't have fresnel lenses to focus the beam so they are really annoying when used on the road. The question was asked on Singletrackworld today or yesterday so that might give you some clues - http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/roadie-front-lights
KevinD 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:

> One thing with MTB lights is that they don't have fresnel lenses to focus the beam so they are really annoying when used on the road.

yup. I prefer different lights for different jobs.
Something like the exposure strada is a great commuting light although not so well suited to fast off road work.
 Quiddity 19 Aug 2015
I got the Exposure Strada for doing the Dunwich Dynamo this year, I wanted something that had a decent beam on it. It's brilliant for dark country lanes - you also get a remote switch which you can mount up by your hoods/drops so you can 'dip' the beam with just a thumb flick - it's great, you get the benefits of a really strong beam, but you don't dazzle oncoming traffic. Conserves battery too. On full beam, traffic sees your beam long before they see you, I found I am actually much more visible than during the day. Battery - a full night ride, so 6-7 hours mostly on a medium power setting (which is still a seriously powerful beam) ran it down to about 60% of capacity, so the 15 hours they reckon on this setting seems realistic. It reckons 3 hours on full power, but honestly I'm not sure I can imagine needing this much light on the road. Price wise - define too expensive. I got a deal on Wiggle as I was buying in mid summer, it definitely isn't cheap but then I think you do get what you pay for - I want to keep up my long rides through the autumn/winter and this light gives me plenty of confidence to do that, so personally I think it is a reasonable investment. Not sure what it would be like on MTB trails however, I think Exposure make other lights more designed for that.

edit - just seen that they have just released the Mk6, so you may still be able to get a deal on a Mk5 if you shop aroundm eg: http://www.rutlandcycling.com/103331/products/exposure-strada-mk-5-2015-fro...

I got an Exposure Trace rear light to go with it, significantly more wallet friendly price but still bright enough to light up your surroundings. That being said, while I think these are great for being seen, (and caveat - I haven't used the front one) I suspect I would probably want something higher power as a primary light for going fast down unlit roads. It's very light, compact, well machined, USB chargeable, and holds a good charge (it reckons 3/6 hours on high power steady/pulse, 6/12 on medium, and 12/24 hours on low power, which would be what I would use for commuting. From limited use those numbers seem pretty accurate, charged it once when I got it and not had to recharge it yet! I am probably going to get a front one of these as an everyday commuting light for urban/suburban rides when the Strada is overkill.
Post edited at 08:44
 duchessofmalfi 19 Aug 2015

There are lots of previous discussion about this topic, it is worth a search, personally I suggest looking for "C and B Seen", I've had one of the 1200 something lights for a few years and it is very good.
 the sheep 19 Aug 2015
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
I can second this, bright and reliable

KevinD 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Quiddity:

for exposure lights take a look at their warehouse stock. Sometimes good deals on there.
http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.com/exposure-lights/outlet-store
 mike123 19 Aug 2015
In reply to kevin stephens: a light that fits most of your list is the leyzne mega drive. on chain reaction for just short of £100, I got one off sport pursuit last year for a bit more (I think) . Had it on my road bike all last winter . Great light , very well made unit , great battery life . Let down by pants mounting bracket which is shockingly poor for a light that was supposed to be £200. I think it should be pretty easy to rig a better mount , which admittedly shouldn't be necessary. However I think the quality of the rest of it makes up for the need to modify it or continuAlly Faf with it. I was going to use it in place of my much modified Chinese cheapys for mtb but the winter ended before I came up with a mounting solution . Your thread has however made me start to think about getting out the light box , cable ties , duct tape ,epoxy putty etc etc and having a play . Interested to look at what else £100 will buy though.
 nniff 15 Sep 2015

There is this which is useful, but a bit out of date now I think (unless there's an updated version I haven't found)

http://road.cc/content/news/97193-big-roadcc-lights-test-2013

Personally, I have two Lezyne lights of different types on the front - a Macro Drive and a Superdrive. They have different beam colours which works well - yellower Superdrive for distance and the whiter macro driive for the gap between the other light and front wheel, which shows up potholes clearly. Only two hours 15 minutes on full beam when it's cold (2 degrees). You can get spare batteries for superdrives though, which is a sensible alternative. Good for 25 mph on a bike. 30 mph is exciting but viable
 the sheep 15 Sep 2015
In reply to nniff:
I used one from these guys on the front through last winter, great through city centre cycling to unlit paths out in the country.
http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/bikehead-lights/commuter-kit.html
 Indy 15 Sep 2015

> Any recommendations?

I'd recommend you'd started looking about 4 months ago! You're going to get spanked financially whatever quality lights you get as manufacturers/retailers know that its lights buying season. I got 2 Exposure Equinox lights with remote etc for £152 each you'll be paying at least £100+ more today per light.

Anyway.... been really happy with all my Exposure lighting purchases Diablo/Equinox/Blaze. Can't go far wrong with this brand IMHO.
 Indy 15 Sep 2015
In reply to KevinD:

> for exposure lights take a look at their warehouse stock. Sometimes good deals on there.

Who can resist a good deal?. Just taken a look and I'll classify the prices advertised as shit....A second-hand factory refurbished Torro MK6 is 1 pence cheaper than Wiggle are selling a brand new Torro MK7.
 Dark-Cloud 16 Sep 2015

Basically anything from Exposure, excellent build and customer service....
 Bob 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
I'm sure that the Exposure lights are good, nay brilliant, but they have one flaw IMO: integrated batteries (or as Exposure like to say "cable free design"). I'd much rather have an external battery that I can quickly swap should the one in use run out whilst I'm out riding.

I know that's what Kevin asked for before anyone jumps on me

Cateye do a 800 lumens light (Volt 800) that has a replaceable battery (it screws in to the back of the unit), not much bigger than the Exposure Joystick. Costs between £90 & £100 and the batteries are £20 - £30. Not used one myself but seen them in the LBS.
Post edited at 11:49
cb294 16 Sep 2015

cateye nano shot, ideally the simple version with the single LED, bright enough and last longer than the double LED plus version.

Very happy with mine, use it for my race bike.

CB
 Dark-Cloud 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Bob:

Cables and battery packs are a right PITA, I used to use Ay-Up's off-road and wouldn't go back now after using an Exposure Six Pack and Joystick.

Commuting and longer road riding then its not so much of a concern.
 Bob 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

They don't bother me so ... Looking at Exposure's website they seem to quote just two burn times for their lights, surely they have more levels than high and low?

For commuting a dynamo hub is by far and away the best option though I back it up with small LED lights in pulse/flash mode.
 Dark-Cloud 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Bob:

The new ones have multiple levels, and a pretty accurate gauge to show time left, I am guessing the are quoting highest and lowest.
 Bob 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I thought that might be the case, a bit odd that they don't advertise "X run/light levels"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...