UKC

REVIEW: CAMP Matik

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 20 Aug 2015
Paying out rope 'front on' with the CAMP Matik, 4 kbThe Matik has been a long standing project for CAMP, who have put in a lot of time, effort, and money into getting its design and various features right.

Read more
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks a fairly good rope solo device. How large/heavy is it compared to say an Edelrid Eddy?
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

The Matik weighs in at 276g in comparison to the Eddy's 360g and overall it feels like a more compact device. In terms of rope soloing it's not something that I personally used it for, hence wouldn't really like to comment.
 Rockmonkey1977 20 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Agreed on the 'soft catch' point. I had a friend belaying me with one of these recently and if he didn't add his own dynamism (is that a word?) it wasn't that soft a catch. For a proper soft catch you're still better off with a belayer thats substantially lighter than you!
 PPP 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Rockmonkey1977:

Is it not the case with a regular (grabby, something along Pivot/ATC/Reverso) belay plate though? If your belayer is heavy and doesn't give you much dynamic in the belay, you would still suffer? Maybe not such a big deal on trad with half ropes as the falls can be a little bit longer than the falls in sport climbing. I don't fall too much on trad gear though, less than 5 times this year .
 GridNorth 21 Aug 2015
In reply to PPP:
> I don't fall too much on trad gear though, less than 5 times this year .

Crikey, I've fallen off less than 5 times in 50 years and I know climbers who haven't fallen. Ever.

This device looks good but at £90 I'll be sticking with my Mammut Smart I'm afraid.

Al
Post edited at 14:05
 andrewmc 21 Aug 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> Crikey, I've fallen off less than 5 times in 50 years and I know climbers who haven't fallen. Ever.

Including top rope/seconding/indoors?
 GridNorth 21 Aug 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

None of those count do they?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...