UKC

Nibali's sticky bottle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 23 Aug 2015
In reply to FrankBooth:

I was just thinking that sounds a bit harsh for holding onto the car while exchanging a few words but that is just hilarious. What a fool but impressive nerve holding onto a car accelerating that quickly for that long.

Thanks for sharing.

Toby

Chris the Tall 23 Aug 2015
In reply to FrankBooth:

A sticky bottle is one thing, and like drafting between team cars, there's a fine art to staying clear of the commissars. But this was ridiculous - he wasn't getting a breather, he took a long tow and dropped the others he was with. What a cheat
 Greasy Prusiks 23 Aug 2015
In reply to FrankBooth:

Astana. Got to be the least credible team in the pelaton.
 Chris the Tall 23 Aug 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Katusha give them a run for their money, and Saxo-tinkoff aren't far behind. And yet Sky seem to get all the venom
 Hephaestus 23 Aug 2015
In reply to FrankBooth:

Hilarious! That was ridiculous.
 Mike Highbury 23 Aug 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Katusha give them a run for their money, and Saxo-tinkoff aren't far behind. And yet Sky seem to get all the venom

Not when you're in the room.
Fidman 24 Aug 2015

Didn't he have a go at Fromme at the Tour about something similar when the press accused him of attacking when Froome had a mechanical?
 Chris the Tall 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Fidman:

Yep, he reminded people of why Froome was DQed from the 2010 Giro. Froome claims he was planning to retire anyway, due to a knee injury, but not sure how credible that excuse was. But he wasn't a GC contender back then.

Unfortunately a friend popped round at 7 last night, so although I was watching, I wasn't listening (and mainly just looking out for scenic shorts of El Chorro). It did look like Sky decided to put the hammer down after the crash. Not unreasonable with 30km to go, but possibly payback for Nibbles attack in the the alps (although I thought that was perfectly reasonable as well). But they also had a rider at the back of the Astana group which was leading Nibbles back. Coincidence or was his job to keep an eye out for sticky bottles ?

Ain't kharma a bitch !
 balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2015

They did indeed, but it wasn't for long, and I think was more meant to be a "now you know what it feels like" moment, as very soon after movistar and Katusha were back on the front
 Bob 24 Aug 2015

According to Cycling Weekly: "We saw the videos,” said the race jury president, Bruno Valcic. “We watched the film together with Astana director Stefano Zanini.

“The penalties are really clear — the commissaires had to disqualify Nibali from the race. The sports director driving the car, Alexandre Shefer, is also out of the race.”

Who pointed the referees at the video or had they been watching the feed as the race went on?
 Hat Dude 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:

> Who pointed the referees at the video or had they been watching the feed as the race went on?

i think if I'd been one of the riders watching him disappear off up the road hanging on to a car, I might've mentioned it!

balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

> i think if I'd been one of the riders watching him disappear off up the road hanging on to a car, I might've mentioned it!

That's the most astonishing thing about it - doesn't he know he's lost most of his "friends" in the peloton with his past antics? What ever made him think he would get away with it?

I see lots of people think this is "harsh" or ruins the race. personally I'm surprised Astana are still allowed to run a cycling team given their recent record
In reply to Bob:

> Who pointed the referees at the video or had they been watching the feed as the race went on?

Surely its the the commissaires job to watch the feed, but even so in the age of social media it's pretty silly to think you'd get away with it. As with Porte, you always seem to get complaints of inconsistency when they do there job properly!

Of course, if he rode for Lotto Soudal, he'd have the perfect excuse

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/559737600492462080
In reply to FrankBooth:

Perhaps without full team support he knew he couldn't get back on and this was his way of not getting his head kicked in as a water bottle carrier for the next 3 weeks?
 Tricky Dicky 24 Aug 2015
In reply to FrankBooth:

That's the stickiest (sticky bottle) situation I've seen , since 'sticky' the stick insect got stuck to a sticky bun!!
 Roadrunner5 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

Its been dealt with badly.

This should be dealt with like drug taking, it is deliberate cheating and the ban should be longer.
KevinD 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

> That's the stickiest (sticky bottle) situation I've seen

shame he got banned. I was starting to think I might be in with a chance of competing. although since holding on for the entire race might be knackering I was wondering if I could just stick the bike on the roof rack and travel in comfort.

Mike Highbury 24 Aug 2015
In reply to KevinD: In case any of you are interested in anything other than carping, some Slovak won a race today.
 Sir Chasm 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Which race is that?
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Which race is that?

Oh, I dunno. Some bollocks in Spain.
KevinD 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Which race is that?

some unimportant one. Far more interesting was the end of the downhill season.
Clauso 24 Aug 2015

> In case any of you are interested in anything other than carping, some Slovak won a race today.

I occasionally go piking, if that helps?
 HIGHTOWER 24 Aug 2015

Spoiler alert!
In reply to HIGHTOWER:

> Spoiler alert!

Oh FFS, if you care about cycling you'll know the result already.

But if you watch cycling as a spectacle and I've ruined it for you, then an ISIS video will suffice as an alternative.
 balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2015
In reply to FrankBooth:
I see Astana are claiming to have only towed him 100m (conveniently the distance it was caught by the chopper camera) yet he seemed to make up nearly a mile distance to the back of the team car train in a few minutes
Post edited at 21:14
Rigid Raider 24 Aug 2015
In reply to FrankBooth:

What a shame. It couldn''t have happened to a nicer, more honest bloke.... or team for that matter.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Bit surprised that bouhani got away so lightly today. Not that he should have been DQed, there is a big difference between getting a sticky bottle when you are on your own and out the back, and quite another to zoom away at the front of a bunch. But should he have been in a position to challenge for the stage win ?
 HIGHTOWER 25 Aug 2015

>Oh FFS, if you care about cycling you'll know the result already.

Or maybe I was working in the evening so deliberately didn't click in the Vuelta thread.

Removed User 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> What a shame. It wouldn't have happened to a nicer, more honest bloke

Fixed that for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...