UKC

Large luggage recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AymanC 26 Aug 2015
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for large luggage bags... either wheeled or duffles.
Thing is it needs to be bigger than 85 x 40 x 25.

I really should have just booked an extra seat on the plane!
 d_b 26 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:
I have the 110l variant of the N face base camp Duffel. I don't know if they go big enough for whatever you are transporting but if they do then they are a good choice. Seemingly infinite space and they last forever.

I will measure it when I get home.
Post edited at 15:28
 Doug 26 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

I have one of these
http://www.decathlon.fr/sac-trekking-100l-id_8128950.html
which I've always though was large but seems its less than 85 cm long
 tehmarks 26 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

Ice hockey player bags come in large sizes (I realised this the other day while working out how I was going to pack for an upcoming trip) and are reasonably cheap in the grand scheme of things.

http://www.puckstop.com/acatalog/Hockey_Gear_Carry_Bags.html
ultrabumbly 26 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

> I really should have just booked an extra seat on the plane!

Seriously, If your mate can't afford the trip you should just try and find someone at your destination to climb with rather than taking him as luggage......

I have used a 100l (they go up to 140l I believe) mountain equipment duffle for years that was quite cheap and managed to carry that along with a large pack through airports many times. If you go too big you'll likely exceed the single item weight limit. I think the longest side is always 75cm on the larger ones though. They come in roller versions too but I always got by using a shoulder strap on each pack.
OP AymanC 26 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I thought about those North face bags, but they are too short sadly.
Basically it has to be longer than 85cm to fit an instrument. Which is why I was lamenting being a cheapskate and not paying for British airways or an extra seat on ryanair...

I'll check out those hockey bags though.
In reply to AymanC: Just a head's up, and you may be aware of this already, but do check with your airline thst you can check whatever it is you're taking in without incurring extra luggage charges. Many airlines seem keen to do this for anything they think they can get away with and a piece of luggage of thr size you're after might fall foul of this.

Or not; but it's worth taking the time to check.

T.

Andrew Lodge 26 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

Try Lomo watersports, great waterproof bags in various sizes at very sensible prices.
csambrook 26 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

That sounds like a NATO deployment bag to me. Used by the military then sold second hand for around £20 to £25. Really tough, carry handles, rucksack straps and end grab handles.
 Howard J 27 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

What sort of instrument? I'd be very nervous of putting anything like that in hold luggage unless it was in a customised flight case (and having heard horror stories about the way airlines handle luggage I'd still be worried).
 blurty 27 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

These look good, quite lightweight and robust (I haven't got one myself, I had a look in the shop though & they looked good)

http://www.godive.net/brands/beuchat/beuchat-roll-explorer-bag.html
OP AymanC 29 Aug 2015
In reply to AymanC:

It's an oud (similar to a lute). In the end I decided to box it up as though it was being freighted.
Next time I'll just book with a proper airline!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...