UKC

Learning mountain rope skills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 unicycleboy 26 Aug 2015
Hi, I've done lots of grade 1/2 scrambles but would like to expand my hill walking to routes where a rope would be nicehandy.

The problem is I've never done any outdoor lead climbing/placing gear (Plenty of indoor climbing) would a course on lead climbing transfer over to mountain routes or is there not a great deal of overlap and its not really worth doing for this goal? I'll be based down in Dorset from next month so would rather a local course and don't think I'm going to find any mountaineering courses down there.

Thanks
Andrew
 AlH 26 Aug 2015
In reply to unicycleboy:

Have a chat to Henry Castle who is not too far away and could advise you on a route forwards: http://www.climbpembroke.com/about-climb-pembroke/
 jezb1 27 Aug 2015
In reply to unicycleboy:

Will Moy is a mountaineering instructor based in Dorset and I'm sure he can teach you loads..

Http://www.freebornclimbing.com
 LucaC 27 Aug 2015
In reply to unicycleboy:

I've recently completed my MIA training and will be offering free tuition as part of my consolidation period. I'm based in the South East, so if your interested drop me a private message and we can organise something.

Once you can place gear, it doesn't really matter what the terrain is, so learning to trad lead will feed directly back into scrambling. And having some experience on steeper terrain will probably give you more confidence on scrambling routes too.

It would be good to have a third person if your learning to lead, perhaps you have a friend who would be interested too?
 summo 27 Aug 2015
In reply to unicycleboy:

Penny Farthing of Adventure Fitness company is down your neck of the woods.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...