UKC

The Book of the Bothy by Phoebe Smith

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 26 Aug 2015

There's an interesting review of this book by Neil Reid on the Cairngorm Wanderer blog:
https://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/anticipation-v-realisati...
Post edited at 21:52
 ScottTalbot 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill: Interesting indeed.. I generally like Phoebe Smith's books, but by the sound of it, this one still needs some work?

I'm not sure what "one of us" refers to, so I'm probably not one either... Haha!

Mike Peacock 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Interesting. I read Extreme Sleeps and thought it was dreadful. Every little happening was exaggerated into some terrible danger. My conclusion was that its target market was those unfamiliar with the outdoors.
 The New NickB 27 Aug 2015
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> I'm not sure what "one of us" refers to, so I'm probably not one either... Haha!

I'm not familiar with the author and my expertise on the subject extends to staying in a couple, but the "one of us" didn't really endear me to the reviewer.
OP Only a hill 27 Aug 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

If you read the sentence again, it's fairly clear that Neil is being tongue in cheek there.
 The New NickB 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

It still alienates anyone who isn't one of them, however tongue in cheek it is! It nothing against the reviewer, I just don't particular like that turn of phrase in this context.
 ScottTalbot 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Mike Peacock:

> Interesting. I read Extreme Sleeps and thought it was dreadful. Every little happening was exaggerated into some terrible danger. My conclusion was that its target market was those unfamiliar with the outdoors.

On the whole, I enjoyed extreme sleeps. There were sections that didn't interest me terribly, but that was more to do with the locations than the author. I know what you mean about the drama, but I think she was just trying to convey that sense of heightened anxiety you feel being out on your own, especially being female.. That sounds sexist I know, but the world is a more dangerous place for the fairer sex.
 ScottTalbot 28 Aug 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> It still alienates anyone who isn't one of them, however tongue in cheek it is! It nothing against the reviewer, I just don't particular like that turn of phrase in this context.

I have to agree. It smacks of the elitism you see rear its ugly head from time to time out on the hills, and I don't really have any time for it. In all fairness to the reviewer, it was said in jest, but I still wonder if there was a little sneer there all the same.. Which probably says more about my cynical nature, than it does about Mr Reid haha!
 OMR 28 Aug 2015
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Reviewer here, shamefaced that his writing was so obscure as to be so misunderstood.
The use of 'not one of us' (highlighted in italics) was in fact a jibe at the elitists. Before this book even hit the streets there was a bit of social media sniping because Ms Smith was making money out of other people's hard work. At the time I defended her right to write the book, finding the argument that unless you've banged in the nails you can't wield the pen about it to be ludicrous and - yes - elitist.
Sure, my review betrays some disappointment, but that doesn't alter what I think about Ms Smith's right to write.
I think there is an 'us' in bothy maintenance, which you could define as the people who contribute (in whatever way) to the upkeep and welfare of bothies. But there's no locked door. If you want to become 'one of us' then just do it. In fact I'd argue that, in the sense, Phoebe Smith, despite my criticisms, IS one of us.
But, hey, I'm quite sure that, this being the internet, someone will come along who knows what I'm trying to say better than I do and will explain why I'm some form of poisonous toad that just crawled out from under a toley. Hey ho.
 beth 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Interesting. I haven't read the book so I'm not going to comment on it.

However, I had an similar sounding experience to the reviewer regarding Cicerone's proof reading, or lack of, with a book they published last year. I found minor spelling errors which shouldn't have made it into print. And a number of instances that pointed to a "lack of attention to detail". Like odd things which you would have expected to be mentioned, but weren't. The book was supplied by Cicerone for review and the feedback I gave was detailed with some of the discrepancies/etc. In the end I didn't feel I could make the review public.

I've always respected Cicerone books but I'm starting to wonder if their overall quality has taken a turn for the worst.
 ScottTalbot 28 Aug 2015
In reply to OMR:
My apologies Neil. There's nothing obscure about your writing at all, I was just being overly cynical, as usual and going off half cocked...
Post edited at 19:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...