UKC

Nahanni trip done and dusted - now for the editing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 30 Aug 2015

Ok. So just completed the 3 week canoe trip on the Nahanni and have about 2 hrs of Go Pro footage (I did restrict it). Most is helmet mounted or hand held due to restricted mounting sites (spray skirts don't like Go Pro mounts).

I'd like a recommendation for editing software that is easy to use for both editing film, adding photos and adding music. I don't mind paying for a good program.
 rallymania 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed User:
depends on your budget and if you are PC or MAC

PC? moviemaker or the gopro studio app are free, various versions of sony vegas can be had from about c$80upwards (you're in canada i think?) and adobe premier elements v13 is about C$120 on amazon.ca

if you are planning on doing a few movies, go with premier elements or vegas... but make sure the version you get can handle the files from your gopro (the newer ones will probably be fine)

on a MAC loads of people seem to get decent results with iMovie

don't buy something that's too cheap, one of the reasons vegas or premier elements are so good is because of the instruction and help from masses of users out there. don't underestimate how important that help can be
Post edited at 10:08
 The Lemming 31 Aug 2015

You could use GoPro's own editing software. It's free and does what you need
cb294 31 Aug 2015

I´d love to see the finished trip report! 25 years ago I went down the Yukon from Whitehorse to Dawson. Now the kids would be big enough to do a similar trip again, but I would be looking for something just a bit more adventurous.

Cheers,

CB
Removed User 31 Aug 2015
In reply to cb294:

Thanks everyone. I'll have a look at the free stuff first and then go with the other recommendations if these won't work. I've used moviemaker before but have hit some problems with it. Perhaps it was an older version.

cb294, happy to give you the details once I have written things up.
cb294 31 Aug 2015

Great, looking forward to it!

CB
Removed User 02 Sep 2015

Thanks everyone. The Go Pro program seems to be doing what I need. I just need to refine my skills with it.
 rallymania 02 Sep 2015

join here... goprouser.freeforums.org

i think gopro have some how to vids on their youtube channel

be careful with music if you use any, you can spend hours lovingly crafting your master peice and then youtube block the video because the music owner doesn't want their music used (and for the record, i have no quarrel with that, it's their hard work, they are entitled to restrict it's use) best just start off using from free music archive or something similar
Removed User 02 Sep 2015
In reply to rallymania:

Thanks. TBH, I doubt if I'll you tube it just for that reason. I'll use a drop box so that anyone who is interested can take a look.
 Fraser 02 Sep 2015

Vimeo is better on the 'music infringement' side of things.
 rallymania 03 Sep 2015

well I for one would like to see your result

you could youtube the video, mark it as "unlisted" instead of "public" and then send the link to people
Removed User 03 Sep 2015
In reply to rallymania:

Sure. I'm not sure how well my editing skills will work but happy to share with those who are interested.

As an aside, I had considered combining this trip with a quick jaunt into the Cirque but tbh, the window of opportunity in the Cirque is very narrow (It snowed up on the Cirque on the two days I passed it) and the extra weight and time would have been a struggle. As it was we were on the river for 18 days and needed all the food we could carry so there was no room for extra gear.
 rallymania 04 Sep 2015

I'm always interested in outdoor films that regular people have produced themselves.

HeMa 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Fraser:

> Vimeo is better on the 'music infringement' side of things.

Yup...

Or you could just use music that won't cause problems.

A lot can be found eg. here:
http://freemusicarchive.org/

Just check that it has the correct CC.
Removed User 09 Sep 2015

So here is a little taste:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZG5FyFpulnU&

TBH, the full film is too big and everyone forgot to tell me that the Go Pro software (or my computer) really struggled to save such a big file. in the end I lost the full movie (and a week's worth of editing) twice so ended up splitting the movie into three part. This You Tube clip is just a side project.

I'll put the 3 parts into a drop box and anyone who wants can email me and I'll let them see it. I have more to add and, as an aside, can anyone tell me how to add photos?
cb294 09 Sep 2015

Looks great!

Thanks,

CB
 Mal Grey 09 Sep 2015

Nice one! Glad you had a good trip, not jealous at all...

This remains at the top of my list of open canoeing dream rivers. The idea of flying into the middle of nowhere and paddling out through the series of canyons and rapids, all the time surrounded by amazing scenery, is simply something I must do. That and/or the Mountain River. I'll have to make do with the Spey this year, though have had some other fantastic paddling-with-a-bit-of-walking trips this year (Inverpolly, Glaskogen amongst others)

I might be wrong, but it appears it was actually sunny!

Removed User 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

Hi Mal

TBH it was generally sunny but it did rain a little almost every day and then we had two or three big rain days. The sunny days were never very hot due to a colder wind but great in the sunshine.

Not sure how you would do a self managed trip from the UK due to the logistical constraints (3 weeks of food, getting canoes there etc.) but Blackfeather do guided trips on the Nahanni (and other Canadian rivers). I've never used them personally so can't vouch for them and it certainly wont be a cheap option.
 Mal Grey 10 Sep 2015

Yeah, I think paying is the only way, and that's going to take some saving up for!!! I've been recommended Blackfeather before.

One day...

Wry Spudding 10 Sep 2015

Looks lovely! I'm feeling somewhat envious here. I see you're paddling with gloves on; was it particularly cold?
Removed User 10 Sep 2015
In reply to RichMoss:

We wore wet suits and gloves on the rapids in Fourth canyon and First canyon. The real risk is hypothermia if you go in. Pretty sure the water isn't much above 5 degrees and certainly any bathing was restricted to jump in/jump out = no nuts. The challenge with Fourth canyon is that if you go in early you have a long swim ahead.

I'm gonna take a risk and put up the link to my drop box for Part one of the film. If it gets too much traffic it will crash so please only open if you are really interested.
Removed User 10 Sep 2015
In reply to RichMoss:

Here ya go. Just part one. If it works I'll add the rest later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/meu6hdb5chrdrad/Nahanni%202015%20Film%20-%20part%...
Removed User 11 Sep 2015

So I'm gonna take the film off the drop box tonight so if you want a look, then look now.
cb294 11 Sep 2015

Excellent! Looking forward to the other bits.

I especially liked how you managed to end up below the falls without portaging (a bit like the girl in VL...)!

Thanks,

CB
 rallymania 11 Sep 2015

will try and grab a look tonight, sorry been super busy
Removed User 11 Sep 2015
In reply to cb294:

Tough to wear a go pro on yer head while you also have a canoe on it

Portage was 1.5km and took 6 of us approximately 2.5 trips each.
cb294 11 Sep 2015

Right, that would make for boring footage: Half an hour watching the inside of a canoe bounce up and down....

CB
Removed User 12 Sep 2015

Looks like my dropbox can hold the second installment so here it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpdhn4ywl89hfqq/Nahanni%202015%20Film%20-%20part%...
cb294 12 Sep 2015

Very nice, seem I have found my next holiday destination!

CB
Removed User 14 Sep 2015
In reply to cb294:

Here's the last one. Not the best and plenty of work to do but just got the photos which are awesome so will probably re-edit to include these and improve things.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/it2xpc6gf89b86p/Nahanni%202015%20Film%20-%20Part%...
Removed User 15 Sep 2015
In reply to cb294:

Photos here: These capture the trip better than the go pro footage.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g674kbrh0flm483/AACVHKiNP0ck2eL2wG4IxRh0a?dl=0
cb294 16 Sep 2015

Thanks, this really gives a much better impression. Really jealous about the buffalo!
From your videos I had the impression that you were not picking the gentlest line through the rapids, but went for a more fun one. Is this true?

CB

Great pics, thanks for sharing
Removed User 18 Sep 2015
In reply to cb294:

>
> From your videos I had the impression that you were not picking the gentlest line through the rapids, but went for a more fun one. Is this true?

> CB

Only on Lafferty's Riffle which is the last (and would seem like the largest) set of rapids where you could choose to take river left and a smoother ride.

The stuff just below Virginia falls in Fourth canyon is pretty much the line you have to take as is the line in George's riffle at the beginning of First canyon (Remember these are numbered backwards - Fourth canyon is the 1st canyon you run).

Water levels rise and fall quickly on the Nahanni but these were about normal for the time of year if a little low.
cb294 18 Sep 2015

Thanks!

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...