UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Lewis and Harris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 31 Aug 2015
Dave MacLeod and Natalie Berry on the stunning Prozac Link E4 5c, Screaming Geo, 4 kbCast off the north west of Scotland, the Isle of Lewis and Harris is one of the most remote corners of the British Isles and home to some of the best adventure trad to be found in the country...

Martin McKenna takes us on a brief tour of both the sea cliffs and the stunning mountain crags.

Read more

Doug 31 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

The Carloway Standing Stones (photo near the end) look very like the stones at Callanish

Other than that, a nice article & a reminder that its a long time since my last visit
 Brian Pollock 31 Aug 2015

Good article Martin. Definitely worth another visit at some point!
 Jack Geldard 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Doug:

Well spotted!
 kwoods 31 Aug 2015

Good article! A note about the midges - I've spent probably a total of 10 weeks (summer), spread across years on the Outer Hebrides and almost never have encountered them. Think its the wind...
 Brian Pollock 31 Aug 2015
In reply to kwoods:

In my experience, the Lewisian midges were in a class of their own. Seemingly surviving on will power alone from the top to the base of almost all the sea cliffs. We encountered them on stances a couple of metres above sea level and on calm days not even the blazing sun could keep them at bay. I would recommend midge nets for all belay stances and possibly a portable fan for windless days. Then again, when it was windy you knew all about it and they weren't an issue.
In reply to kwoods:

Hi Kevin,

As Brian mentioned we had a very different experience. I was almost midged to death on Screaming Geo (appropriate name on the day taking into account the wee bastards).

I wonder if maybe the wet summer has resulted in a midgebomb!
 Ramon Marin 01 Sep 2015

I tried to go in June but weather was horrid, but I really want to go. Does anyone know whether end of Sept will be too late? (considering a good forecast) Thanks
In reply to Ramon Marin:
I went a few years back in mid-July fully expecting to be midged off the island, but as mentioned by a few people above the breeze seemed to keep them at bay. I figured this was due to the sea-cliffs and west coast winds, but from the sound of things we may have just got lucky. That said, the day we had on Strone Ulladale was one of the most midgy days of my life - it was DEFCON 3, full-alert, survival mode.

Ramon, in answer to your question all I can offer is that it could either be amazing...or completely terrible... Historically May and September have always been my choice months in Scotland, the weather has always seemed more stable around that time hence it could be a go-er - just depends on how things are looking nearer the time. On the bright side, irrespective of how bad the weather is the midges should have gone by then
Post edited at 11:52
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Agreed re Strone Ulladale. About the midgiest place I've ever been.
munichhannah 02 Sep 2015

nice article, thank you

Hannah
 kylo-342 02 Sep 2015

Does anyone know when the new SMC guidebook will be published?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...