UKC

Great spaced out ambient track

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 31 Aug 2015

Yeah, so I was watching Dredd and there's scenes where characters take a drug called Slo Mo (come on the future!) and the same track is played for each such scene. Real trippy and otherworldy. Looks amazing.

Did some poking about to find out what this brilliant track was and now I'm listening to f******g Justin Bieber!

The track is / heavily influenced by the Justin Bieber song, U Smile, slowed down by 800%.

From the score composer:

"Geoff Barrow from Portishead is a Dredd fan and he and over the years he’d been putting together music he wrote and put it together as an album called Drokk. Drokk is a swear word in the Dredd books. Anyway, when we were done shooting I showed Geoff an early cut of the film, and he pointed me towards this software he found that makes music run 800 times slower, just like the “slo-mo” drug does to its victims in the movie. He sent me a link to a Justin Bieber song slowed down 800 times and it became this stunning trippy choral music. The whole movie was temped to Justin Bieber, in fact. Paul recreated that Bieber music on his own and slowed it down 800 times and we use that in the movie.”

Go on, listen to it. I will be again tonight

https://soundcloud.com/frantisek-1/justin-bieber-u-smile-ambient-800-slower
Post edited at 13:40
 timjones 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

> Yeah, so I was watching Dredd and there's scenes where characters take a drug called Slo Mo (come on the future!) and the same track is played for each such scene. Real trippy and otherworldy. Looks amazing.

> Did some poking about to find out what this brilliant track was and now I'm listening to f******g Justin Bieber!

> The track is / heavily influenced by the Justin Bieber song, U Smile, slowed down by 800%.

> From the score composer:

> "Geoff Barrow from Portishead is a Dredd fan and he and over the years he’d been putting together music he wrote and put it together as an album called Drokk. Drokk is a swear word in the Dredd books. Anyway, when we were done shooting I showed Geoff an early cut of the film, and he pointed me towards this software he found that makes music run 800 times slower, just like the “slo-mo” drug does to its victims in the movie. He sent me a link to a Justin Bieber song slowed down 800 times and it became this stunning trippy choral music. The whole movie was temped to Justin Bieber, in fact. Paul recreated that Bieber music on his own and slowed it down 800 times and we use that in the movie.”

> Go on, listen to it. I will be again tonight

I don't often feel the need to play the music critic but in this case I'll make an exception.

It's absolutely dire ;(
 felt 31 Aug 2015
In reply to timjones:

> It's absolutely dire ;(

Having said that, it's pretty interesting; I'm hearing Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares, Cocteau Twins, Górecki, Tangerine Dream, the Orb all in there, so it can't be *that* bad.

Maybe a bit too much release and not enough tension in it, like much ambient music. And it could do with perhaps being a little shorter; I'd suggest by 800 per cent?
 timjones 31 Aug 2015
In reply to felt:

> Having said that, it's pretty interesting; I'm hearing Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares, Cocteau Twins, Górecki, Tangerine Dream, the Orb all in there, so it can't be *that* bad.

> Maybe a bit too much release and not enough tension in it, like much ambient music. And it could do with perhaps being a little shorter; I'd suggest by 800 per cent?

Maybe not 800% shorter but it drones on for far too long, my tolerance ran out at about 30 seconds.
In reply to Flinticus:

If, on the other hand, you were to play Justin Beaver 800 times faster a 5 minute track would be over in a bit under half a second. Almost bearable.
 Owen W-G 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I'll save it for my next yoga sesh
 Bulls Crack 03 Sep 2015
In reply to timjones:

+1 but still better than the original. Playing very few notes slowly doent often equate to good music
 aln 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I love that. Lots of texture and depth, more interesting than a lot of music made to be ambient or trippy.
 Mike Mead 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

What is 800% slower? If 1% slower is 0.99 times original speed, and 100% slower is not moving, then isn't 800% slower backwards at 8x, or something? 😊

FWIW I don't think it holds up as standalone music, but equally don't recall it jarring as part of the film score.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...