UKC

Swollen finger joints

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

For the past week I've had a swollen distal joint on the middle finger (furthest joint on middle finger - think that's the description!).
It feels like a solid lump on the Underside, there is minimal swelling and no bruising only slight redness. No pain with bending or touching.

Internet searches have just brought up arthritis.

I have been climbing with it which had no pain or limitations.

Any help would be good if this is a problem or just something I have now.
 alx 01 Sep 2015
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

The treatment for different types of finger injuries is roughly the same.

Some regular icing and backing off hard crimping for a couple of weeks maybe a good idea. These types of things can be a warning sign for things to come. Review any new changes to your climbing routine or training and try to figure out if you have introduced something your finger is not ready for yet.
In reply to alx:

I've had no change to what I've been climbing - climbing less often if anything. The injury happened at work lifting a heavy box.

Cold water treatment is my usual finger treatment.
 La benya 01 Sep 2015
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

Hey Sam,

If it's a hard lump, give it a fooking good squeeze/ hit it with something. Could be a ganglion. I have one on my middle joint, middle finger. Grows over a couple of weeks, not really painful and every now and again I can pop it and massage it away (sometimes requires a hard item on it). I think it's where the joint capsule/ tendon sheath has ruptured slightly and then healed in a distended way. It fills with fluid over time. Often called bible cysts (cos they used to wack them with bibles). If it's actual swelling could be an accumulation of 'crap' in the joint (scar tissue etc). I've recently been doing something called 'voodoo flossing' which works bloody wonders and loosening up finger joints and promoting healing. Terrible name and comes from cross fit but actually works!
Anyway, when are you coming up to cheddar?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...