UKC

National Cycle to Work Day - who else did?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 03 Sep 2015

Admittedly, I've seen no advertising of this day and actually found out about it yesterday from a non-cyclist colleague.

I'd normally cycle in on a Thursday anyway - but there weren't any more cyclists than usual on my route this morning.

Anyone else notice any increase in riders?
Post edited at 09:39
KevinD 03 Sep 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I might go on a ride at lunch.
 nniff 03 Sep 2015

I did , as always. However, judging by the abnormally large amount of motor traffic, very few others did.
 Bob 03 Sep 2015

I did but depending on weather/how I feel I'll bike to work 3 or 4 days a week anyway. 21Km each way and it's about as quick as driving would be - very rarely do that, probably three times in two years.
 Gturner71 03 Sep 2015

I cycled as I do every day, but today I pledged my miles to the cycle to work scheme.
 Bob 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Gturner71:

> today I pledged my miles to the cycle to work scheme.

Eh???

hokkyokusei 03 Sep 2015

I often cycle to work, but today it was inconvenient, so I didn't.
 niggle 03 Sep 2015

Yup. I cycle to work almost every day, a bit over ten miles each way.
 Chris the Tall 03 Sep 2015

Every day is cycle to work day ! Can't say I noticed any extra cyclists, although thinking about I did see one woman who looked a bit unsure of herself, so maybe. As ever you get an increase in cars in the first week of Sept
 psaunders 03 Sep 2015

First I've heard of it.

I cycled in today, as I do every day (unless the weather is really bad, in which case I take the bus). I saw about the same number of other cyclists as any other day.

My employer is reasonably good at supporting cycling so I'm a bit disappointed they didn't latch onto this. Did anyone?

JamButty 03 Sep 2015

I didn't today, and knew nothing about this national cycle day, which is pretty poor given everything thats going on related to cycling at the moment (eg HGVs in London)
Surely this would have been a good opportunity to raise the profile!
 nufkin 03 Sep 2015

I had no idea. Round my way it seemed to be going-back-to-school day - loads more cars than for the past few weeks. Nothing unusual in terms of bikes
 amandaleeds 03 Sep 2015

I did as usual and also was disappointed that my employer hadn't arranged anything. I heard about it a while ago and the local cycle development organisation put something on at a bar which was nice but considering the size of our city it wasn't well attended. I also didn't notice any change in the number of cyclists.

They have a Skyride once a year on a weekend where they close the city centre to traffic so I think they'd need to do that for the day to entice a complete beginner to cycle in Leeds! I remember when I started, being petrified in all the fast traffic and panicking to get in the right lane all the time (though that was before any cycling provision!) - now I am very confident in my own ability and very aware of those few numpty drivers and pedestrians who don't see you
OP LastBoyScout 04 Sep 2015

Well, the few cyclists I saw on the way home were a right miserable lot - not a nod or wave back from any of them
 rallymania 04 Sep 2015

i can't really cycle to work at the moment as my commute is just under 50 miles each way.

in theory i could buy a fold up bike and take the train most of the way and cycle the last bit, but that would actually work out much more expensive than driving so i don't (well that and the fact i don't have a fold up bike lol)
 Indy 04 Sep 2015

> I've seen no advertising of this day and actually found out about it yesterday from a non-cyclist colleague.

Its an anti-cycling conspiricy paid for by the motoring lobby. Your colleague will be hunted down as a traitor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...