UKC

I know....more cycling questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 09 Sep 2015
Sorry, been a few of these from me lately

Thinking of building myself up to longer rides, currently do 4 miles commute each day and have a little ride of 7 miles that I have done on my hybrid a few times but now with the newer bike I want to build up to 40-50 milers

Regarding food and drinks, what should I be aiming for? Generally I have porridge in the morning and on rides I have done of 15-20 miles I haven't need to eat and 1 500ml water bottle is ok. Do I need more? If so when and how much?

I can do 20 miles without worrying, is the jump to 40-50 a big one? should I increase slowly or just do it?
In reply to cfer:

Water intake will depend on the weather/heat but I wouldn't set off for a continuous 50 mile ride with only one water bottle.

Food is a personal thing but one or two bananas and a piece of flapjack or similar would easily get me round a fifty.

You could use special sports nutrition bars and a couple of gels if you prefer and don't mind the cost.

I roughly aim to eat something after 20 miles then after each subsequent 15 odd miles and drink small amounts very regularly, this works for me but every one is different and it will vary on a hilly route that will take longer to ride. I have one bottle of energy drink and one of water. I normally have the water with food and the energy drink in between
 dmetcalfe 09 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

As has already been said its personal and weather dependant, I don't usually need to eat on anything up to 40, but some people do, a friend of mine will be needing to eat after 20 miles. Also depends on how hilly the ride is!
 LastBoyScout 09 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

Jump from 20 to 50 miles is not that bad - just do it

For that sort of distance, I'd generally take 1x700ml bottle (more if hot), a bar of some sort to nibble half-way and a gel tucked in somewhere in case of emergencies.

I'd be more worried about the quality of your shorts than your nutrition at that distance
OP cfer 09 Sep 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

The shorts are fine and I dont think I will need much food

Cheers all
 Chris the Tall 09 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

Just build up gradually and avoid dehydration/hunger knock by stopping regularly at cafes or pubs. I find Clif shot bloks perfect for carrying in my back pocket if I need a boost - nice to chew on climbs. Avoid saddle soreness by using chamois cream, make sure you don't strain your back or your neck by riding in the same position for too long, and remember to rehydrate after a ride to avoid cramp - I find zero tabs really good for this.

I used to think 50 miles was a massive and daunting task, now I can do it in an evening after week. Well, as long as I'm not battered and bruised after crashing the mountain bike, again
 ThunderCat 09 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:
Like Chris says just there it's amazing how big "50 - 60 miles" sounds in your head, until you actually get out and do it.

Cycling is the only real exercise 'thing' I've stuck at. Started doing the 8 mile journey to work, and then just started to push myself a little more on weekends - getting up early on a weekend when the roads were quiet and heading out. I found the trick was to get out early so that I had lots of time to get back.

I'm fairly belt and braces thought. Bottles of water, few bits of chocolate, maybe some sarnies and some cash to buy refills of pop and junk food on the way.

Me and the lads did Glasgow to Inverness last weekend - 4 days at about 60 miles a day and it was a doddle (although some of the hills were a bit knackering)

And my training rides are normally up into the peak district....so the return half is largely downhill....always a bonus,.

And never, ever, ever stop for Guinness on the UP the hill..keep it for the descent...
Post edited at 18:20
 Dogwatch 10 Sep 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Jump from 20 to 50 miles is not that bad - just do it

Might be true for you. I'd done 25 miles many times. Tried 40, felt good at 30, could barely carry on at 35. Could barely stand up in fact, light headed, felt awful. There's a point the nutrition stuff starts to matter and that point seems to vary person to person.
In reply to cfer:

> The shorts are fine and I dont think I will need much food

> Cheers all

So half an hour previously you were asking for advice on drink and food but now you don't think you'll need much food! Glad you've worked that out in half an hour.
OP cfer 10 Sep 2015
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Yep, for now and for an extra 15-20 miles above what I have done, from what others have said and what they take, Im thinking a couple of chocolate bars and a flapjack will be ok. I dont seem to process the gels well when Ive tried them when running.

It also seems a very individual thing, with some needing more than others. If everyone had said they have to eat at 40 miles maybe I would think differently. I appreciate all the advice though and will let you all know how it goes.
 ThunderCat 10 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

Take it along with you mate. Better to have it and not need it, than vice versa. Hope you get some good results and hit those 50/60 milers (and enjoy them)
OP cfer 10 Sep 2015
In reply to ThunderCat:

Good thinking
Rigid Raider 10 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

There's nothing worse that that weakening feeling that comes over you as you go through about 20 miles, sooner if you're riding hard or a hilly route. 50 to 60 miles is certainly easy on a flattish route with other cyclists to provide shelter but somewhere like Lancashire (mentioned several times as having tough hills in the TOB this week) you will be climbing 3,000 to 5,000 feet in that distance. I find that on a fast hilly ride, extra energy makes a difference from about mile 15 onwards.

Usually we carry energy in the form of maltodextrin powder in our drinks. This is the food starch that's used as the basis for packet soups, instant gravy and all kinds of processed foods. You can buy it at reasonable cost from nutrition sites; we get ours from MyProtein in 5 kg bags. An inch or two in the bottle with a fizzy isotonic tab for hot days works very well and will keep you going for as long as you want.
OP cfer 14 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

Did a comfortable 37.8 miles this weekend, starting from home, up round Wheelton, then through to Longridge, and around the Preston guildwheel and back home..Some big hills round there, but didnt get off the bike and could feel myself flagging at around 30 miles so a flapjack and banana sorted that . Going to attempt the same route later this week and try a 50 mile at the weekend if I feel up to it

Kieran_John 14 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

Usual food/drink for me on a 50 miler is a pint of cider at the half way mark along with a plate of chips. I keep a bottle of coke in the back pack too.

I guess it depends how hilly your ride is but I'm not overly fit and 50 miles wasn't too much of a stretch without feeling parched. I generally cycle 22miles a day though (11 mile commute) and that IS fairly hilly.
 Rory Shaw 14 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

if you are riding for over 2 hours then some food will be useful. However, you don't have to wait 2 hrs into ride to start eating. Try little and often. Also think about when will be good to eat according to the terrain - i.e. don't fill yourself up before a strenuous climb!
Dont wait until you will hungry - by that time it will likely be too late - the dreaded bonk creeps ups stealthily then BOOM - you can hardly turn the peddles.
Sometimes good to ride to exhaustion though...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...