UKC

Ski touring lite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 09 Sep 2015
Does anybody know of any ski touring routes that dont need a load of knowledge about snowy stuff? I know it sounds like a stupid question. I've done cross country skiing on pre-made tracks and I want to go off the track somewhere like Norway, but I don't know anything about avalanches, glaciers etc and snow and ice in general. Are there routes that are in between a pre-made track and a serious mountain, where I can just turn up with my limited knowledge and set off in safety? Preferably something a bit wild and semi remote. Despite sounding like an idiot I'm OK with cold and can look after myself in the hills, just don't know much about the white stuff.

Thanks in advance.
OP Red Rover 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

PS cross country wise i can do about 20 to 30 km per day on the tracks and I've done a lot of normal on-piste downhill skiing just not very mountain savvy so was wondering if there's anywhere thats just hills rather than serious mountains where it would be safe for a non-mountaineer to go off the tracks, mainly interested in Scandinavia (have done cross country in Norway). At a guess I think the hills round Trondheim would fit the bill.
 Doug 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Red Rover:
Around Easter time many of the routes between Norwegian huts are waymarked so a hut to hut tour somewhere non glaciated might be an option and at Easter in the popular areas there are likely to be others around you much of the time
Or go with someone who does have a bit more experience ?
 wbo 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Red Rover: I reckon Hardanger is the place for you.

Aigen 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

There are millions and billions or multiday trips in Norway. From Hut to Hut stuff.
OP Red Rover 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

Thanks all. I'll probably go to Norway. I've heard theres some hut or bothy organisation where you can pay a fee and get a key to all their huts/bothies, soulds like the most affordable way. How far north in Norway do you have to be in march/April to get reliable conditions? I've only been in Febuary.
 Doug 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

see http://english.turistforeningen.no/

The likes of Finse or Jotunheim should be fine in March/April (at least in whatever now passes for a normal year)
OP Red Rover 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Doug:

Cool thanks, useful website. I'm guessing I want the winter waymarked trails? I think they call them kvisteruter, tree branch trails. Am I correct in thinking that this is 'off piste' as in its not the tracks you get round the edge of town thats been piste bashed, but I wouldn't be up on a mountain blundering into dangers that I didnt know about? Seems to eb nicely in the middle.
 Doug 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

They are the waymarked trails I mentioned in my first post - birch twigs at maybe 20 m intervals to mark the route but not pisted, although there maybe tracks of other skiers
OP Red Rover 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Doug:

Cool thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...