UKC

Getting into route setting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm really interested in getting into route setting I'm a relatedly experienced climber having climbed for a year and I have climbed 7a sport climbs indoor and onsighted 6b outside I boulder at V3-V4 and I have bouldered V5. I just want to know how to break into the route setting circuit.

Any advise would be appreciated
Post edited at 16:31
 Dandan 10 Sep 2015
In reply to matthew_paraclimbing:

Am I right in thinking you are part of a paraclimbing junior squad/team? I'm sure I've seen some videos of you (doing some pretty impressive stuff) shared on the Facebook, if so, surely you can ask the coaches/organisers, they should be able to give you some top tips.

Personally, I'm just getting into route setting myself, it seems most people do it as an offshoot of working at a climbing wall, which has the added bonus of usually having any courses you need paid for by your employer.
I want to do it for my own amusement so I paid to do the RSA level 1 boulder setting course just so I could have a piece of paper to wave around, and I've been asking at local walls if they want a hand with the setting, some of them have been quite receptive. You will almost certainly have to set for free to start with, but if you are any good, most places will ask you back to do some paid work.

For you specifically, I'd be sure you have a good system worked out for how you are going to handle the tools and the access, most commercial walls want a certain number of routes set in a certain time so it's all about efficiency, I've very quickly learned that attaching just one hold to the wall can be quite fiddly even with two hands! ( I hope that doesn't sound rude, it's really not meant to be)

Best of luck with it though, I'm sure some people on here can offer you better advice than me
In reply to Dandan:

Thanks very much for the advise it's very helpful. I will be sure to ask at my local wall. I never really considered how to handle the tools thanks for that, food for thought. Please don't feel like your rude facts are facts. But thank you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...