UKC

Feeling odd..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 11 Sep 2015

I went out for a run last night, only about 8 miles with about 1500 ft ascent. (Up crag fell at Ennerdale if anyone knows it). I've done it a few times, bit of a slog up, but steady downhill all the way back. I ate normally beforehand, took it steady and took some water as it was fairly hot.

About a mile from the end I started feeling nauseous, and when I got home my teeth were chattering and my hands were shaking violently. Got some hot sweet tea, a banana and an energy bar down me, had a shower then tried to eat some tea and went to bed.

I'm still feeling a bit ropey, bit of a headache, bit weak all round. I'm just trying to figure out the cause. I'd been eating normally during the day, and I don't tend to suffer from low blood sugar, even if I don't eat all day. I'm wondering if I drank too much water, as I was conscious it was a hot evening.

Anyone had a similar experience?
Post edited at 12:39
Rigid Raider 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Sounds like The Bonk to me, a common phenomenon amongst cyclists, or it was until energy drinks became widely available. Try putting some carbs in the form of maltodextrin in your bottle; you can buy it cheaply from sites like Myprotein.
OP Ridge 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Just seems odd I experienced it on a fairly short run that I've never had an issue with before.
 NorthernGrit 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Maybe jus an underlying virus/illness which hasn't shown itself in other ways?
 The New NickB 11 Sep 2015
In reply to NorthernGrit:

> Maybe jus an underlying virus/illness which hasn't shown itself in other ways?

Seems more likely than bonking.
OP Ridge 11 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB and NorthernGrit:

I must not google symptoms, I must not google symptoms, I must not google symptoms...

wbo 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ridge: Assuming you're not dead, hospitalised or sick. yes I've had the same symptoms
1. Bonking (haha) - doesn't seem likely
2. dehydration
3. drinking so much I pee'd all my blood sugar out, though that took longer to appear.

Were you continually on the toilet before you went out?

OP Ridge 11 Sep 2015
In reply to wbo:

Not on the toilet, but peeing, (clear), a fair bit on the run.
 ClimberEd 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Almost definitely underlying illness catalysed by the run.

Had very similar experience at the end of July, did a very easy hour (was actually in a taper week) and we I got home felt knackered, cold and shivery.

By the next morning I was out for the count and was in and out of bed for 5 days.

If you are lucky a couple of days rest and fuelling should shake it (I have other underlying problems effecting my health)
OP Ridge 11 Sep 2015
In reply to ClimberEd:

Thanks Ed, that does sound pretty close to what I experienced.
 wbo 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ridge: I would hesitate to definitely state 'underlying illness'. I'm betting you pee'd your blood sugar out. It takes some doing, but it's possible with overhydration

AlisonSmiles 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ridge:

I reckon you'll wake up with a cold on Saturday and all will become clear!
 Roadrunner5 11 Sep 2015
In reply to wbo:

I'd go with illness but that could also cause a bonk..

Whenever Im ill I pick it up 2-4 days before on a run when I just feel atrocious. It's horrid, especially if a track workout and sometimes end up with the walk of shame home..

But could be a bonk.

Rich7 11 Sep 2015
Depending on how you feel over the next couple of days you might never know why you didn't feel quite right. Dehydration, running out of energy or early signs of an infection are sound possible.

At least you can exclude the made up phenomenon of "drinking so much I pee'd all my blood sugar out". The kidneys are extremely efficient at reabsorbing filtered glucose. This mechanism is generally only overcome when your blood sugar is very high "e.g. with diabetes melitus" when so much sugar filters through that it can't all be reabsorbed. Drinking lots does not lead to you loosing sugar in the urine.
In reply to Rich7:

^ this

Ridge, it's entirely probable that your blood sugar bottomed out, but that would have far more to do with infection and/or a bit of a counter-regulatory surge (any exciting occurrences whilst out on the run?) than an induced glycosuria.

Rest for a bit - nine times out of ten, a miraculous cure.
Thickhead 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Happened to me a few times. If I checked my temperature in those circumstances I always had a slight fever.

I would definitely go with illness probably viral unless other symptoms to suggest otherwise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...