UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Arcteryx Lakeland Revival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Sep 2015
Rob Greenwood, 3 kbThis week's Friday Night Video features our very own Advertising Manager Rob Greenwood getting more than a bit "damp" in the name of reviving a foliage-infested Lakeland trad route. Climbing, or perhaps more appropriately - swimming - up Sergeant Crag Gully, Rob enjoys an organic experience on a climb which is "in best condition when wet..."

Read more
 peppermill 12 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent. Almost like an episode of Coast!
 tmawer 12 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

There will be queue's forming for that today!
 Skyfall 12 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Quality mountain rock, pfffffff

Excellent !
 BnB 12 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Are the grommets in Rob's rucksac designed to let water drain out of the bottom?
 John Gresty 12 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I have actually done it twice. Once on a winters afternoon, finishing in the dark and getting bombed by a falling sheep near the top, and once on a very wet day in the summer. It's a great adventure, I keep recommending it to other folks but no-one seems to take me up on it. Old fashioned gully climbs are good fun, you just need to be competent at about two grades harder than that given in the guide, and then ditch the guide once there and follow your nose as it will not resemble the description at all.
John
 sbc_10 12 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Ghyll scrambling has all these attractive qualities as well and the added bonus effect of somebody hurling buckets of water at you.
 mishabruml 12 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

pfft, don't know what the fuss is about, this looks like your average day out cragging in Scotland...
 Rich 12 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

My "100 Classic Climbs in the Lake District" tells me we did this in Aug 1997. It was also good for our relationship as we're still together ... although Rebecca does still use it as a reference climb when I suggest wet day routes. Stephen Reid of Needle Sports recommended it without so much as a smirk on his face. Superb trip.
 steveP 13 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent route. Although I was somewhat put off the last time we climbed it by a semi-rotted sheep on the second pitch. Gave the gully a slightly unpleasant fragrance. For those that enjoy this type of thing, I thoroughly recommend the Chasm.
J1234 14 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:
And here is the problem, its actually a great route of an unfashionable style, when we did it earlier this year it was a touch damp, so not bone dry, and pretty much climbing top to bottom on rock. Rob Greenwoods comment thats its better in the wet is actually unhelpful, in the bone dry for a severe/HS leader it would give a top notch day out particularly a very hot day with a pretty tough crux IMHO. Not only is the climbing fun and a bit adventurous but as you look back out of the Gully Langstrath is framed by the sides of the gully making a beautiful scenic effect.
So if we want the routes in the lakes climbing more, rather than sending an E8 leader up mildly taking the piss, perhaps someone of a lower grade in the dry would sell the routes better.
If your in Langstrath on a wet day the better wet climb is Cams Crag ridge taking the hardest line, then drop on DovesNest and do Inside Route.
Post edited at 08:18
 liam 14 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Entertaining though it is, I can't help but feel this video perpetuates the image of the Lakes being an overgrown and esoteric backwater, rather than encourage a visit

Would not a better way to inspire a 'revival' be to capture some of the amazing rock, lines and positions on Pavey, Esk, Dow etc etc.... ?
In reply to Reggie Perrin:

> Rob Greenwoods comment thats its better in the wet is actually unhelpful

That's actually a direct quote from the FRCC Borrowdale Guidebook.

> So if we want the routes in the lakes climbing more, rather than sending an E8 leader up mildly taking the piss, perhaps someone of a lower grade in the dry would sell the routes better.

Sorry, that's actually my sense of humour - I really did enjoy the route! I'll bear Cams Crag Ridge for next time.
In reply to liam:

That was the original idea, but unfortunately - as is the way of British weather - the only weekend we could make it was upon a rather wet/drizzly one. Rather than call it off entirely we figured it would be good to get involved with something a little different, thus encourage people to get out and have fun no matter the weather - it was a bloody good laugh...

Either way, if I'd have had to choose between a wet Sergeant Crag Gully and a dry Pavey, Esk or Dow I think you know which one I'd go for
J1234 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

>

> Sorry, that's actually my sense of humour - I really did enjoy the route! I'll bear Cams Crag Ridge for next time.

No need to be sorry you did a climb and had a laugh, my beef is with the lakeland Revival team, the goal of the campaign is to get neglected lakeland routes climbed and this to me did not portray a great route the correct way. IMO you should get a badge for doing the route, you had a "Fantastic Day" and thats cool .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...