UKC

MTB: clunking & slipping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 14 Sep 2015
OK, my bike is doing my f***ing head in.

It is frequently and unexpectedly scrunching & slipping when I pedal, causing the pedals to jerk forward and leaving me unstable, not even up hill or when exerting much load, i.e it happens on the level too.

The pedals and crank are secure, no wobble, and the bottom bracket was recently replaced (as it had come loose and damaged the threads). I had it in the LBS less than a month ago (when I got the BB replaced) and they said the chain & sprockets did not need replacing. Could it be issues with chain tension, the rear derailleurs?

Any ideas? I really can't cycle it anymore until this is fixed.
KevinD 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

freewheel/hub perhaps?
 Chris the Tall 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Sounds like you rear hub - could be that the pawls (?) that ensure you can freewheel are getting stuck and not engaging properly when you pedal. Had this happen to me after going through a ford. Or the freehub casing could be cracked - also had that. I've also broken an axle a couple of times and that's another possibility. Ask your LBS to strip it and check it. Although if it's a broken axle it will be obvious when you remove the wheel.
Removed User 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Had similar problem on mine a couple of months back. Local bike shop replaced middle chain ring, sprockets and chain. Problem fixed at a reasonable price, £150.
 jim jones 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

As first replies definitely sounds like at least one of the pawls in the free hub damaged. New free hub.
 cmgcmg 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Chain wear and front ring wear. Replace them all or you will suffer the same.
OP Flinticus 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks guys, its got to be a hub issue as the chain and chainset are not that old (and already OK'd by the bike shop) and should certainly not be worn down by my small daily commute.
OP Flinticus 22 Sep 2015
In reply to jim jones:

> As first replies definitely sounds like at least one of the pawls in the free hub damaged. New free hub.

You were right (and KevinD and Chris): pawls damaged in hub. Getting new wheel built as original hub set up not sourced in the UK and cannot be replaced.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...