UKC

Bouldering at harrisons rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I live near Harrison's rock but I've never visited and I would like to but from what I've read there are some very mixed reviews of bouldering there and I want to know if it's worth going.
I boulder at grade V5
Post edited at 16:41
 Dell 16 Sep 2015
In reply to matthew_paraclimbing:

There will be enough there to keep you entertained.

Get this: https://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6263
 RobertHepburn 18 Sep 2015
In reply to matthew_paraclimbing:

I really like bouldering on southern sandstone, but it is worth noting:

1. It needs at least a day without rain to dry out, maybe more. I went to Harrisons on Sunday, over a day after it had rained, and only about 50% was really climbable. In the winter it can be months between weekends that are dry enough, but a nice dry warm spring means you can go in the evenings too.
2. The best hard bouldering is at high rocks, but it now costs £10 and you can't boulder at the weekend for no descernable reason. It also takes the longest to dry as it is north facing and under trees. If you are going I would check access and cost beforehand.
3. Bowles rocks is the best and driest rock, but it is a full height crag (12m!) so you normally stop after a while rather than topping out. Many of the harder problems are done as traverses or sit starts as the first 2m or so tends to be overhanging, and then it tends to flatten out. Nicotine Alley, my current project when my fingers get better, is nice at font 7a.
4, The rock is often covered in a layer of sand - I take a towel and use it to get the worst off and make sure my feet are totally sand free before starting.

I think southern sandstone has some great problems, but you need the right conditions to get the best from them.

Have a great time when you go,

Robert

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...