UKC

Bristol Climbers-Move GB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Solsbury 18 Sep 2015
Hi folks, I know lots of Bristol climbers have been using Move GB. It seems TCA and UCR are pulling out. As far as I know Redpoint is staying in and is about to expand-leading and bouldering. TCA/Redpoint offering reciprocated 50% discounts on certain payment plans.

Cant quite make up my mind what to do, I do use Move GB for swimming and odd yoga class but it is mainly for the walls. Was wondering if other people had made up their minds and what their rationales are? Might help me think it through.

Cheers

Rich
In reply to Solsbury:

I presume it's a typo, Rich, but it's TCA and UCR that are offering the 50% discounts.
Rich
 anthonylewis 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Solsbury:
I've stopped using movegb.

I'll likely just pay on entry for tca and redpoint; I'm not climbing regularly enough right now to justify membership at tca.

It seemed too good to be true! Shame.
Post edited at 17:18
OP Solsbury 18 Sep 2015
In reply to The Climbing Academy:
Oh dear, sorry for any confusion but I have indeed made a huge typo type blunder here.

My understanding is people with annual membership or direct debit memberships at TCA WILL GET REDUCED ENTRY TO UCR (50%) and vice versa.

Sorry to all concerned.

Rich
 robbie Warke 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

This is interesting, we offer MOVE GB discount at our wall (Dart Rock Devon). We dont have a huge number of people using it. Why are walls pulling out?
 elliptic 24 Sep 2015
In reply to robbie Warke:

Loads of climbers signed up to it in Bristol because (a) it effectively worked as a "joint membership" option covering three of the four main walls (which the walls themselves weren't offering) and (b) it was extremely good value for committed regulars going 2/3+ times a week (plus yoga classes or whatever).

Unfortunately it seems (b) also meant that it wasn't sustainable financially for TCA and UCR under the terms they had, when so many of their regulars switched over to it.
 Steve nevers 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

Looking like picking which of the two i'm likely to train at more and get 3-6 months at that one.

Theres a few people talking of just switching to Bloc, but their monthly rates are to high for the fairly random setting policy and that lack of regular variation kills it for me.
 MaxAB 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

For the moment I'm going to Redpoint a more, and paying for the odd session at TCA. I might end up getting a membership at TCA, but hard to justify the extra cost, and I'm using Move GB for other activities so don't really want to stop using it.

Out of interest, which yoga classes on Move GB would be people recommend?
 jamie_bkc 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Steve nevers:

I'm surprised to hear that, of all the walls in Bristol I would put Bloc down as having the most frequent re-sets. Sure it's wall by wall rather than the whole centre, but it means there's something fresh every month (often every two weeks) at every grade. Last time I was at TCA they had the same problems at my grade as they had 4 months previous.

Personally I'm surprised there isn't a UCR/Bloc unison, they're both within spitting distance of each other and clearly have different target audiences in sport/bouldering.
 Tomar 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

Rich, Redpoint is promising a new 14m leading wall!! Autobelays (great for those boring 4x4 endurance sessions) and 2 new bouldering walls, each 15m long 4.2m high, all angles from 45 degree to slabs + a campus board. Sounds like it might , hopefully and finally, be the all round training centre some people have been waiting for. Also a direct debit cancel anytime you want scheme. Good and varied route setting, I think I am sold.
 JWT 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Tomar:

Hi Tomar, do you know if there are any plans to include a circuit board in the expansion?
Paul Twomey 06 Oct 2015
In reply to jamie_bkc:

Hi Jamie

I'm one of the TCA directors and oversee the routesetting calendar and the general day to day running of the Bristol wall. I'm a little puzzled as to which 4 month period you mention in your post. We have a 6 week rolling rotation for the main circuits, and many of the circuits have decent overlap between them.

If you can give me the time frame and the grade of problems you are climbing, I keep all our setting records for Health and Safety purposes and can tell you exactly what was set and when.

Looking at my rota, this October we have a schedule to set 140 problems ranging from font 3 to 7c.

Thanks
Paul

www.theclimbingacademy.com
 jamie_bkc 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Paul Twomey:
Hi Paul,

I confess it's been some time since I've been back, it would have been between some time in Jan and May 2014. Bloc had just opened and living a 10 min walk away it became the obvious choice to frequent as I don't get back from work till late in the evening. I recall heading back to TCA after a few months to see what was new and found I was climbing most of the same problems as before, what those were exactly I couldn't tell you I'm afraid, but that was my (and others in our groups) lasting impression at the time.

I hadn't intended to finger TCA so viciously, merely to draw comparison. I've visited walls outside of Bristol that get one reset a year, which would suggest for some it's not even an issue.

Clearly I'm long overdue a return visit! And assuming your records go back the two years, also incorrect in my time frames.

I can't edit the original post but perhaps "it didn't feel nearly as frequent last time I regularly climbed TCA" would have been a more accurate assertion.

Jamie.

Post edited at 16:37
 Angrypenguin 06 Oct 2015
In reply to JWT:
> Hi Tomar, do you know if there are any plans to include a circuit board in the expansion?

Yes, update on FB toady - https://www.facebook.com/RedpointBristol/posts/912871332102534
 ad111 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

It makes sense to me to stay with Move GB and just go to Redpoint.

If only the walls would get together and do some kind of 4 in 1 membership. I think thats the only way they could wean me off Move GB.
 Tomar 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Angrypenguin:

Just had a look at the Redpoint fb page...hmmmm.... WHAT on earth is a crazy climb?? It's a climbing gym not a amusement park! Ok I take all back maybe TCA is still the safest bet.
OP Solsbury 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Tomar: Go on Tomar, Crazy guy, Crazy climb, you know you want to!! Rich

Cheese Monkey 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

Wait so Redpoint are still in MoveGB? Well thats that then
 Angrypenguin 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Tomar:

They do a lot of kids parties and groups. It's holds that rotate and holds with flashing lights and stuff like that. Kinda benefits everyone since the kids will spend less time climbing the non-crazy stuff.
Paul Twomey 08 Oct 2015
In reply to jamie_bkc:

Thanks for that acknowledgement Jamie. We offer good quality routes that are changed on a quick rotation and would not like that continual hard work to be perceived as anything but for our frequent and infrequent visitors.

Thanks
Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...