UKC

Recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gills 20 Sep 2015
Looking to buy my first rope (s). Really not sure what is best to get, it would only be for trad so should I get a single or half ropes? What brands are good? Is it better to get cheaper for my first set? I've only jus started leading and I I'm not in a rush to buy anything but think because of that I've looked around online so much I've confused my self!!

Also random question: if climbing as a group of 3 on half ropes with leader tied into both ropes and a second on a rope each does that mean they need to be rated for single use aswell seeing as the seconds don't have the security of a second rope?

Sorry if those are stupid questions I'm still learning
 Mark Kemball 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Gills:

Personally, I'd recommend a pair of half ropes for trad. It's fine for 2 seconds to follow on a rope each, providing that the route is going more or less straight up (a long traverse could mean enormous pendules if things go pear shaped, also, watch out for routes with a lot of rope-slicing sharp rock edges - 2 ropes are a real advantage here, but I wouldn't like to follow on a single half rope!

Have you belayed a leader on a pair of half ropes? It is a bit more tricky than a single - but once you get the hang of it, it's not too difficult to take in on one rope while giving slack on the other (you need to do this as the leader climbs up to some gear that's been placed overhead on one of the ropes).

I now use skinny (8.1mm) half ropes as it is less weight to carry, but I'd go for something thicker to start with. Also, for climbing in this country, 50m is ample. As for which brand, I don't know, I've been happy with my Beal ropes, but I'd go for the cheapest if I were you.
OP Gills 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thanks for the advice mark

I have belayed a leader with half ropes before, like you say was a bit tricky to start with but soon got into the way of it

Think your probably right about cheaper and thicker ropes, I'm sure I'm bound to make a few mistakes in the learning process (though hopefully nothing disasterous!!) so maybe they'll last me abit longer to start with!!

Thanks again
 radddogg 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Gills:

I bought a 35m edelrid perfect wall rope as that was all I could afford. My partner was dismissive of it in favour of his 60m half ropes. But tying into two ropes and the extra rope work associated just isn't worth it on a 12m straight route at stanage. So depending on the destination we choose the rope most suited to the task.

You will only really need half ropes on wandering or long pitches.
 Mark Kemball 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Gills:

Looking at your logbook - multi-pitch at Fairhead (not climbed there myself), half ropes would seem to be the best option. Also, if you have a regular partner, you can buy one half rope each. Do most of the folks you climb with use half ropes? That would also give you the option of sharing ropes. After a year or so, buy a second rope, then you can replace the older rope a year or so latter - (depending on use / wear). That way you only have to shell out for one half rope at a time.

If you climb at a smaller crag, you can always use a half rope doubled up.
 Pero 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Gills:

You could do worse than get a Beal Joker, which can be used either as a full rope or as part of a pair of half ropes. I would vote for 50m. It's a good option if you do have a regular partner who can get one too.

OP Gills 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I think half ropes seems like the way to go, a few people I've climbed with, there seems to be a variety of half ropes and singles. I think that's partly why I wasn't sure what to do!! Lol!

Like the idea of sharing a set a ropes, I think I know some one who might be interested will have a chat with them
OP Gills 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Pero:

Thanks will have a look at those

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...