UKC

Aldi Cycling Special Buys this Thursday (24th Sept)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ByEek 22 Sep 2015
If you are in the market for some cheap everyday cycle gear, Aldi are doing cycling special buys this Thursday

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/

It is good wholesome stuff at knock down prices!
 girlymonkey 22 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Thanks for that
 Rog Wilko 22 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:

First thing you see there is a winter jacket in black. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase fashion victim.
 PeterM 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> First thing you see there is a winter jacket in black. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase fashion victim.

They are also selling lights...if you want to be seen....
 Toby_W 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I don't understand this at all, why don't they cover this stuff in the silver reflective patches, every commuter cyclist would buy it. The feeble amount of piping they put on leads me to wonder if it costs more than gold but I doubt this.

Cheers

Toby
 The New NickB 22 Sep 2015
In reply to PeterM:

> They are also selling lights...if you want to be seen....

Those reflective and LED wrist and ankle bands they sell are great, I use them for running as well as cycling!
 PeterM 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Toby_W:

Flashing/moving lights (like the LED ankle strap thingy) are more effective than a static block of reflective material. Attracts the eye.
 Toby_W 22 Sep 2015
In reply to PeterM:

I'm greedy, I want both and I think that silver stuff is far more eye catching and dramatic when it catches car headlights than lights on a background of lights but that is only my opinion.

Cheers

Toby
 PeterM 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Toby_W:
You could spray everything with the lifespray - surely couldn't be missed then?
http://gearjunkie.com/volvo-lifespray

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/10/cycling-high-v...
 Toby_W 22 Sep 2015
In reply to PeterM:

I think there's a bit difference between high vis and that silver stuff but thanks for the link. I love the idea of the volvo life spray and you can buy it direct from the company that makes it. They do a range of different types including one for your dog!!! Can you imagine? Why did you crash the car? A ghost dog came out of nowhere!

Cheers

Toby
 AlisonSmiles 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yep - I hate wearing invisibility cloaks on the bike. Big fan of orange or bright green or red or bright blue ... ... not so much the discreet blacks, greys and browns.
 streapadair 22 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

I link 2 together and put them round the dog's neck, keep tabs on him when he's off chasing rabbits over the fields at night.
OP ByEek 22 Sep 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

> Yep - I hate wearing invisibility cloaks on the bike. Big fan of red

Which ironically turns black under street lighting! There is a big argument in favour of painting fire engines green instead of red. Only we can't paint them green because they have always been red. Accident statistics of fire engine accidents at night have no place in such an argument!

LastBoyScout 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Toby_W:
I have one of their jackets from about 2 years ago - far superior in cut and function to the last offering and with much better reflecting printing. I only wish I'd bought one in neon yellow, as well as the electric blue one I've got - at the time, I wasn't commuting by bike and wanted something for popping to the shops at lunchtime.

The mens softshell apparently comes in neon yellow, but looks like it would have black shoulders and arms, which makes it a bit pointless when most of the yellow will be covered by my rucksack.

Had a look and the neon arm warmers look tempting, if they fit...
Post edited at 13:53
 elsewhere 22 Sep 2015
I got a few of the Ultra Bright Cycling Shirt last year and they're really good. Add a windproof gillet or waterproof jacket when it gets close to freezing or heavy rain.

I don't like cold knees so I have to add thermals under Ron Hill winter Treksters for cold & rain - are the leg warmers worth trying as an alternative?

Indy 22 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Notice on a couple of listings that Aldi use the word 'Performance' and 'Premium' but not on others I was wondering why.

Am really tempted by the 'performance' cycling socks especially as I'd be able to pair them with the 'Premium' not to mention 'stylish' cycling shoes..... blue or grey.... choices choices!
 gethin_allen 22 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:

I've found the fit of the cycling gear to be a bit off and I've bought better for not a lot more from Planet-X.
I picked up a load of stuff last year, took it home to try it on because there are obviously no fitting rooms in Aldi, and then I took it all back because of the fit.
The thing that struck me was that a month after the deal came out there were still items in the store near me whereas in previous years the stuff disappeared much quicker. So perhaps people are noting that the quality is dropping.
 LastBoyScout 22 Sep 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

"Like" to the first bit, as I did exactly the same.

The jacket I have is a fantastic bit of kit for the money, even if you sweat like mad over about 10C, but the more recent offerings have been a definite step backwards in terms of cut, features and quality of construction.
In reply to ByEek:

Of course we did see green fire engines on our streets until about 10 years ago!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Goddess
In reply to Indy:

> Notice on a couple of listings that Aldi use the word 'Performance' and 'Premium' but not on others I was wondering why.

It called marketing, I understand John Lewis do it as well!
 Indy 22 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

but JL doesn't sell shit though
MarkM 22 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Ta for the heads up... Will pay a visit if I get chance.
I've bought quite a bit of Aldi kit over the past 3 - 4 years and my take is - if it fits then it's good value - similar to dhb at Wiggle or Planet X for quality and a bit cheaper .. and they're also fine about returns.

Will be interested to see what the '360 reflectivity' is on the Performance Winter Jackets - as Black does seem to be a bit of a bad move.
The 'standard' Winter Jacket I bought last year I really rate for commuting.
Also excellent value IMO are the Winter Gloves - both normal and lobster-style.

I've switched to doing most of my normal shopping in Aldi too and I think they are stocking more of the 'special buy' kit which means that you can now get even more of a bargain if you're lucky with sizes a month or two later in the clearance sections. I picked up a waterproof MTB jacket for £8 recently - which is pretty decent and a great back-up jacket to keep in the office.

Cheers
Mark
In reply to Indy:
> but JL doesn't sell shit though

Of course they do! Just well marketed shit!

They even sell Lion shit

http://www.waitrosegarden.com/product/_/silent-roar-lion-manure/classid.200...

You mention socks, they are about the only bit of clothing I have ever bought from ALDI (running and cycling) and they are great, equal to the £15 ones elsewhere and only £2.99
Post edited at 15:09
OP ByEek 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Indy:

> but JL doesn't sell shit though

Oh they do. They just charge three times as much and say that it isn't "Knowingly undersold" whatever that means. We have bought a lot of stuff from Aldi and I have always been pretty impressed how good it is in terms of quality. Much of their higher value items come with a three year guarantee which beats places like John Lewis's and their standard two year warranty. About three months ago I bough a pair of approach shoes and trainers for £18 all in. Neither are particularly amazing, but they do the job I require and when I have to replace them in a few months time - blimey - I only paid £18. Who cares!
 Mike Stretford 22 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> We have bought a lot of stuff from Aldi and I have always been pretty impressed how good it is in terms of quality.

Depends. I've got clothing from there which wasfine, but the cycling shoes were a mistake and I should have know better, I'd be wary of anything which needs a high quality fixing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...