UKC

NEWS: University Climbing Clubs: Advice for Members and Freshers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Sep 2015
EUMC, 3 kbAs the new university year begins, thousands of Freshers around the country will be looking to continue existing sporting activities or take up something new as they begin their university studies. Climbing and mountaineering clubs are growing in popularity at Universities throughout the UK. Although climbing is a fun extra-curricular activity with numerous social occasions, it's easy to overlook the risks involved when new, inexperienced members sign up for meets and events.

We asked MIC Nick Carter some questions to find out where club members and Freshers can find out more about learning the necessary skills to keep safe in the mountains.

Read more

McT 23 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I took part in a MCofS students skills program in Fall 2011, and winter 2012. It was a incredibly helpful program that formalised a lot of skills I had picked up here and there but never in any coheasive form. It taught me a great deal of new skills, but also helped me establish limits for myself.

Mentorship is sorely lacking in some clubs. It's often a asking a lot for the stronger more experienced climbers to take out the weaker ones who are keen to learn, but don't have the skills. At the same time without proper mentorship it is hard for the weaker climbers to gain those skills in a safe manner. It is great to see MCofS putting some effort in to close that gap.
 ianstevens 24 Sep 2015
In reply to McT:

> Mentorship is sorely lacking in some clubs. It's often a asking a lot for the stronger more experienced climbers to take out the weaker ones who are keen to learn, but don't have the skills. At the same time without proper mentorship it is hard for the weaker climbers to gain those skills in a safe manner. It is great to see MCofS putting some effort in to close that gap.

Mentor's are also severely lacking in University clubs - even if an "experienced" member has been climbing since their mid-teens this only translates into 4-5 years experience at most before taking out complete novices. Whilst at this point you may have varying tickets (SPA, ML etc) it's very unlikley you would have any of those that actually demonstrate you have the skills to teach leading outdoors and heading out in winter. As such, even the "experienced"* members in a university club are passing on skills way beyond their station. On a personal front, I've experienced this recently - I'd like to think I'm one of the more knowledgeable climbers in our University club, but still get left for dead in regards to efficiency and knowledge (admittedly of more obscure aspects of things) when I head out with CC members, on courses, or simply when heading out with those with more experience. Basically I guess my point is (it's early!) is that Uni clubs can turn into a case of the blind leading the blind.

However, Uni students are tight, and will never pay for instruction if they can avoid it. Hence, I think this is a great idea, and exactly what the Mountaineering Councils should be doing to promote and encourage safe participation in our sport. Why are the BMC not doing this as well?

*note that I was in this camp (and still am to a degree) reasonably recently, so I'm not an old codger hating on the youth.
 Mike Highbury 24 Sep 2015
In reply to ianstevens:
> *note that I was in this camp (and still am to a degree) reasonably recently, so I'm not an old codger hating on the youth.

You were a university student? Seriously?
 Offwidth 24 Sep 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

My club like many was allowed hangers-on. I lasted nearly 20 years and just previous to my time the turn-over of students allowed a lot of bad practice (some dangerous) and the core group sometimes to basically exploit freshers for their own kit budget. In my time we used subsidised instructors regularly and it was compulsory for beginners for scottish winter trips... and we preferred a fully qualified local scottish mountain guide as it saved us time and money in the end. We fixed ratios for beginners to intermediates to experienced climbers on any trips.. on a first-come-first served basis for those demonstating they had the required personnal kit (like climbing shooes or plastic boots), only occasionally having to help out the odd super keen 'stray' who was really short of cash. We had increasing help from the BMC over the years and the information they provide now really leaves few excuses for bad behaviour. Over the near 30 years I've been climbing, the student groups I've witnessed on the crag have got steadily better in their ethics and behaviour.
 Team BMC 24 Sep 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

Hi Ian,

You may have missed the link at the bottom of the article to the following page on our website about funded climbing & walking skills courses BMC Affiliated University Clubs can apply for with a qualified instructor: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/supporting-student-clubs-taking-novices-outdoors

We also provide funding grants for all clubs (including University Clubs) for instructor support, club equipment, etc.
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/funding-for-clubs

This information all gets sent out to club secretaries so it may be worth checking we hold the correct contact information if this hasn't come through to the club.
Hope that helps,
Suzanne
BMC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...