UKC

VIDEO: Horizons - Hazel and Steve Findlay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Sep 2015
Hazel in Lofoten, 4 kbWidely regarded as one of the world's best female climbers, Hazel Findlay followed in her father Steve's footsteps as he took her trad climbing from an early age. This new video by Cut Media highlights their unique father-daughter relationship, one which is strengthened by a mutual passion for adventure and the outdoors.

Read more
 MischaHY 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Love this!
 Derek Ryden 26 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Beautifully shot, with an inspiring message, but ultimately disappointing. I have infinite respect for Hazel and her dad, and I'd love to know more about their relationship, but there's nothing here for anyone who already "gets" the adventure mentality.

And by the way, what's that tent doing there?!
 TobyA 26 Sep 2015
In reply to Derek Ryden:

> And by the way, what's that tent doing there?!

I also wondered why the portaledge - but it is revealed in "the making of..." clip https://youtu.be/epLoyIOEdeU?list=PL6RICtGJmFYJQIANZXmjvWg-LE6EdS0cR it is seemingly there because it looks cool in the film. I don't think Ms Findlay actually spent a night in it; all a bit Bear Ghrylls sounding!
In reply to TobyA:

It all looked super remote and wild until the clip that showed cars driving by at the bottom of the crag. Then you realise it's all a staged promo. A beautifully shot promo though.
 joeruckus 26 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Suppose (just suppose) that Murdock's SKY channel wanted this promo made in order to better represent the achievements and accomplishments of women in climbing on their channels. I mean, that's plausible right? Then why not ask the woman involved about the way she thinks about climbing, about her achievements, or about her relationship with her dad and the way in which it's influenced her? Why get someone else (her dad) to do all the talking, to say it all for her? Not a great way of representing women in climbing, if they're not represented as being able to speak for themselves.
 TobyA 26 Sep 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> It all looked super remote and wild until the clip that showed cars driving by at the bottom of the crag. Then you realise it's all a staged promo.

Well not really, Presten has had the road to Henningsvaer go past it for many decades. IIRC, it's about 15 minutes of walking from the layby to where you start climbing - not far at all as you virtually start on the beach! Anyway, it's a very well known cliff and people often report queues of teams on Vestpillaren on good weather days. I hope Hazel got the chance to do some of the routes fully, because they talk about hiking up and then abbing in to get the footage.

I'm not totally sure what you would say its a promo for? I guess that TV programme but I haven't seen it so have no idea what it's about.
 Si dH 27 Sep 2015
In reply to joeruckus:

+1 to this. It would have come across 1000x better with them both jointly doing the talking.

Otherwise, it was really well shot and the rock there looks amazing.
 HeMa 28 Sep 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> I hope Hazel got the chance to do some of the routes fully, because they talk about hiking up and then abbing in to get the footage.

I spotted her leading above the slanting corner on a few shots of her. So quite likely she had at least climbed the best pitch of Vestpillar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...