UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Stonnis - The Dark History of Black Rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Sep 2015
Stonnis, 3 kbThis week's Friday Night Video from BMC TV includes some gritstone action from Black Rocks, a crag that was once known as Stonnis. The dark, imposing outcrop has been attracting climbers for over 125 years.

"They've always found the climbing desperate and they've always said that they'd never come back. This is a film about those who do return and the special routes that make them glad that they did."

Read more
 Michael Gordon 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely film.
 druss 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

One of the best climbing films I've seen in awhile; blending history and showcasing the classics of the grade. Well done.
 mike lamb 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

so ace
 bensilvestre 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great to see the footage of mark on Gaia. The rest was ace too, nice to see normal people trying hard on normal routes.
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant footage of Mark on Groundup on Gaia - was this ever reported? had a quick search but nothing came up
Wiley Coyote2 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely excellent film. I loved watching people battling their way up some of the early routes and the soundtrack was a very pleasant change from the usual pumping stuff. I'm sitting watching it on a gorgeous warm evening on the Costa Blanca with the promise of more sunshine tomorrow but somehow still wishing I was going out on the grit instead.
 Brendan 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Wow, what a lovely film. So much to like about it. Good to see more 'normal' climbers struggling and having a bit of an experience on the easier climbs, and then a great contrast seeing Yugi climb straight afterwards - really shows off his technique. A bit of history, beautifully shot, tasteful music, very unpretentious and lacking in hyperbole. Just excellent all round. Well done to the film maker.

munichhannah 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

brilliant film! love black rocks, my old haunt when i lived near matlock
 ericinbristol 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Outstanding! Beautiful. Thank you very much indeed.
 Jon Stewart 25 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Wonderful. Captures the place brilliantly, and says a lot about climbing and climbers. Totally different to run-of-the mill climbing films. Great film making and great climbing.
 AP Melbourne 26 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

As with Wiley Coyote there on the Costa Blanca, I'm gazing out of my office window here in Melbourne, Australia and all I see are the tower cranes... Oh, how I miss the Peak.
An utterly delightful film. Charming. Brilliant. Well done and thanks.
Andy P.
 Lurking Dave 26 Sep 2015
In reply to VHAS:

Ahh but if you turn to the SE you can see the You Yangs in the distance, the beach and the bay - it's not all bad

Cheers
LD
 Morgan Woods 26 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Haven't got through the whole thing yet, but why is it such a hot-spot for rescue call-outs?
 alan moore 26 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Proper.
 Toccata 26 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Utterly engaging from start to finish. Intelligent, refined, thoughtful, informative and thoroughly entertaining.
In reply to Morgan Woods:

I wondered that as i live locally, probably because it's one of the nearest crags to Derby moutain rescue team although i don't know how far into the peak they go before it becomes
Edale mt's responsibility.
 julesmckim 26 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic film! I'd love to see this format for other crags
 LakesWinter 26 Sep 2015

Great film, really well shot and very inspiring. Thanks
Bogwalloper 26 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

That guy on his first VS 5a - taking a fall, getting back on, that's the spirit of climbing right there.

Wally
 spenser 26 Sep 2015
In reply to Bogwalloper:

I was surprised he fell off that bit and not the bit at the top of the crack which I found horrendous before I decided to back off!
 Lukem6 26 Sep 2015
In reply to Bogwalloper: It was something like his 10th ever lead climb overall so quite impressive he jammed too long and the flared section was a little damp. but great bit of perseverance. great climbing by all in the film.....
Ackbar 27 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Real climbing!

knees, swearing, noticeable difference in daylight between begining and end of climb....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...