UKC

hooded breathable fleece with good hood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
le_quack 27 Sep 2015
I'm entering the 21st century and am going to buy a technical fleece rather than just wearing the wool jumper I normally wear. I'm after a fleece with a good hood I can get get under a climbing helmet. I tend to get sweaty so I need something that's breathable is a must as I may wear I as a base if things get really cold.

I'm really struggling as you'll never really k ow how this sort of thing handles till your really get out there and test it.

I know the Patagonia R1 is raved but what are my other options. I've seen the outdoor research radiant hybrid, montane fury alpinist and mountain equipment eclipse so anyone with experience with any of these would be good

Thanks for the help.

alasdair19 27 Sep 2015
In reply to le_quack:

me shroud is good polar tech 100 plus powerstretch panels and hood.

alternatively buy a powerstretch balaclava! and get any polartec 100 jumper /jacket.

Mr-Cowdrey 27 Sep 2015
In reply to le_quack:

The ME Eclipse is a brilliant fleece. I have the pull on version but ME and Whitedot have collaborated and made a full zip version. Warm, breathable and looks pretty awesome. There are warmer fleeces out there like the RAB Shadow hoody but it doesn't breath as well but does block out a light breeze.

The RAB Baseline hoody looks like a good shout. I haven't used it but nearly picked one up the other week until my girlfriend pointed out that I don't 'need' another jacket.
 neuromancer 27 Sep 2015
In reply to le_quack:
Search decathlon techwinter

Gridded fleece jackets for ~10 quid.
Post edited at 23:17
 ScottTalbot 28 Sep 2015
In reply to le_quack:

I've got a Jack wolfskin Rock Sill Jacket, which I love! That ME Eclipse does look really nice though....
 Paul Atkinson 28 Sep 2015
In reply to le_quack:

Not a fleece per se but great insulation with well spoken of neck and hood. I've witnessed the awesomeness off this as a mid layer for skiing in very cold conditions and am waiting for the chance to try one on myself

http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-jottnar-alfar-review.ht...
 HeMa 28 Sep 2015
In reply to le_quack:

Get something that fits, and is either powerstrech or normal" ~100g/m2 fleece.

In my experience, all the ones with wind or moisture protection just don't breath well enough.
le_quack 28 Sep 2015
The shroud looks good but I wish it had the eclipse's offset zip and hood, although I like the idea of a balaclava hood its bot a must have. I could just get a normal fleece and a balaclava but I'm terrible for leaving stuff like that places.

Ice had issues with rab sizing and fit in the past so tend not to bother but that was a few years back so might give it another look

The jottnar looks interesting but I don't think my budget will stretch that far

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...