UKC

Deep well anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rockabull 29 Sep 2015
I have a friend with a well 64 meters deep who would really be interested if someone went down it.
I wont, I am terrified of it. Above the ground yes, below the ground no.

If anyone knows anyone who fancies the experience please let me know?

The well is one of the 8 deep wells of Oxfordshire and is in Goring/Reading. UK
Lostsky 29 Sep 2015
In reply to rockabull:

Try posting on the UK caving site. There will be folks there who would think 64m was not so deep!
 Trangia 29 Sep 2015
In reply to rockabull:

Don't you have to be careful about oxygen levels in deep wells?

I don't think it's advisable just to go straight down without checking.
 Fruit 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Trangia:

You are correct Trangia, at the Up and Under Group we have a lot of experience of working in this type of structure, a deep confined space, and low oxygen is just one of the potentially fatal hazards that may be present.

If the well owner is really interested in finding out what is down his well, it might be a good idea to contact a company or group with the relavent experience.

I fully understand the desire to know though (sadly from experience it's usually water, mud, rocks and possibly the bones of lost animals).

Cheers
 obi-wan nick b 29 Sep 2015
In reply to rockabull: Why not dangle a Go pro down there with suitable lighting?

Timarzi 29 Sep 2015
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

They're quite expensive; what if he dropped it?
 Tony the Blade 29 Sep 2015
In reply to rockabull:

Where's Fawksey when you need him?
 Richard Wilson 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Timarzi:

> They're quite expensive; what if he dropped it?

Cheaper than people....
MaxWilliam 29 Sep 2015
In reply to rockabull:

>>would really be interested ??

Interested for what reason? There is legislation that covers sending people into confined spaces as there are numerous risks beyond just oxygen level/asphyxiation. At 64m really not a good idea to send someone unless confined space trained and those top side are also trained and have rescue equipment. There are companies around that do well surveys (inc. structural and testing water quality).
 petegunn 29 Sep 2015
In reply to rockabull:

Could always take a Canary down on your shoulder!

We found a well in a farmers field when we were young, it had a concrete lid that half covered it, but we soon managed to shift it out of the way before descending down on a 30' rope ladder and a further 20' of knotted rope.
No treasure or dead bodies just wet, muddy and very smelly!
 d_b 30 Sep 2015
In reply to rockabull:

Watch out for undead japanese girls. They often lurk in wells I'm told.
 blurty 30 Sep 2015
In reply to rockabull:

I once abseiled into a mineshaft, hit bad air at 70 - 80m lost consciousness and had to be pulled out (They tied the rope to the back step of a transit van, and drove across a field repeatedly to get me out). Scary stuff.

Low oxygen, sulphur dioxide, CO2 build-up, methane; there's loads of ways to f*** up

Get a mine-explorer who has a gas analyser to have a look. UK caving . com
 Siward 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Timarzi:

Why would it be dropped? If it's tied on properly it will not just drop off.

How about, subject to tying on properly, just dangle a smartphone down there on record mode with the light on. Simple and effective.
rockabull 06 Oct 2015
In reply to rockabull:

Thanks everyone. I will move over and ask the question on there. I will however suggest the go pro route, I have a few go pro's and do not mind sending them down there...... they go worse places as a head cam.
 obi-wan nick b 18 Oct 2015
In reply to rockabull:
...so did you find anything?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...