UKC

Most underdeveloped crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 01 Oct 2015
While a lot of our popular areas seem pretty worked out there must be some crags that for reasons of remoteness, needing lots of cleaning etc haven't really reached their potential.
Two come to mind: Creag Dubh Dibadale - bloody massive (1km long?) with about half a dozen routes on it! Remoteness is to blame I guess. Always fancied Panting Dog Climb.

Penbwchdy Head at Pwll Deri in N Pembs - I've a picture of it as my PC background at work that makes it look like Gogarth (deceptive I'm sure). Always fancied Sargasso Wall here but apparently the whole crag has turned into an exercise in extreme jungle bashing, could it be resurrected?

Any others out there?
 Bob 01 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Quite a few on the Lleyn
 AlanLittle 01 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

South bank of the Verdon?
 Tom Last 01 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Rubna Hunish, there's a crag with a future surely.
 beardy mike 01 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

OK so it's not in the UK but this - not a single route on it as far as I know: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.panoramio.com%2Fp...
pasbury 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Urgles:

Intriguing...
 d_b 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Urgles:

XS 3a sounds like my cup of tea. Are warthogs any use?
pasbury 01 Oct 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

We'd better keep it UK/Ireland only I think or there'll be loads of Antarctic and Siberian big walls. Very nice but I was interested in our own scarce rock.
 deepstar 01 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> XS 3a sounds like my cup of tea. Are warthogs any use?

Possibly but a pair of gloves and some Secateurs are probably more helpful.
 Dan Arkle 01 Oct 2015

I read there is only one route on the Cliffs of Moher.
 alan moore 01 Oct 2015
In reply to deepstar:

That one sounds worth it for route name alone...
 Hawky 01 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

black crag in angus, serious potential but the parking is a real issue
 DWS gibraltar 01 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

There's loads of potential in Scotland
 Misha 02 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:
St John's Head area on Hoy and lots of other big remote sea cliffs. Don't think there's much on St Kilda and the cliff there is massive.
 JDal 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Misha:

"THE cliff"?? Have you been there ! They are massive though, but you'd need a boat as the top 500 feet are usually vertiginous grass.
 Only a hill 02 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

There are a surprising number in Glen Coe. The South-West Face of Stob Coire nan Lochan springs to mind, which is a surprisingly great crag – when I spent some time exploring there I believe only two routes had been recorded, but there are acres of decent steep rock.
 Lankyman 02 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

I went to have a look at this place near the Cumbria/Northumberland border http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1481511 about 30 years ago. As far as I know it hasn't got a single route. Can't remember much about it except that it was dolerite. As I was keen back then it can't have been a lot of good (but you never know).
 Iain Peters 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

> Best potential in Devon at least!

> Sam

Was climbed on during the construction of the M5/A30 interchange. Naturally I have absolutely no idea who the culprits were!

In reply to pasbury:

I'm pretty sure the answer's in Scotland!

I'm having a senior moment on the name of the hill, but whatever that mountain is between Loch Maree and Fionn Loch looks to have approximately five miles of reasonably continuous cliff with about six routes on. Having said that, I've been reliably informed there are good reasons for this, other than the walk.

jcm
 Quaidy Quaid 03 Oct 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Roach abbey lol
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Beinn lair?

Dan Bailey covered a route in one of his books. It sounded. .. adventurous for a diff. Midge hoods seemed to be one of the essential items of gear. ..
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Exactly, Beinn (or is it Ben) Lair. Thank you.

Damned adventurous, I'd imagine.,

jcm
 ericinbristol 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Urgles:
That's mental! A 500 metre XS 3a! In Somerset! Pacific Rim. (XS 3a) Brilliant (not that I will ever go near it)
Post edited at 21:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...