UKC

New compact camera - advice/recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Euan Todd 02 Oct 2015
Up until recently I've been using an old point-and-shoot for all my hillwalking, climbing, winter etc, but it died a few days ago. It was getting pretty old, so I'm looking to upgrade to a more modern version.

My mate had a Sony Cybershot something (which I think is getting on a bit now anyway) but I was really impressed with the pictures it took.

So, any particular recommendations for a compact do-it-all camera? Or what kind of specifications should I be looking for?

Cheers, Euan
 PPP 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd:

Whatever you end up buying, I cannot recommend Peak Design Capture (Pro) enough. I used it in Dolomites and it was wonderful thing to have. I can't tell the numbers, but I definitely took more pictures just because it's a lot much easier to use your camera. Maybe it is not so big of an issue with very compact camera, but mine is not that small and it always gets in my way if I carry it over the shoulder. If it's in the rucksack then I don't take enough pictures.

youtube.com/watch?v=uPopVxKL3No&

It seems like they have some QC problems as I managed to break one (the camera got stuck in the main plate) in less than two weeks of use. They replaced it without any questions (they provide lifetime warranty) which was not working properly either. The third one seems to be okay for a while, but I haven't used it much yet.
 ashaughnessy 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd:

First questions - how much money do you want to spend? What will you want to do with the resulting photos? How small is "compact"? And finally, a perfectly serious question - what's wrong with your iPhone?

Anthony
 James_D 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd:

I just upgraded to an Olympus tg-5:
http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/Cameras/digital_cameras/tough/tg_4/index...

So far seems fantastic, I am definitely the limiting factor for my photos.
 nutme 05 Oct 2015
Vote for Olympus TG as well. Takes a lot of beating, waterproof and F2.0 lenses are amazing. It's reasonably compact to fit in most pockets and can be clipped to harness. Works well in cold weather.

You could go for 'older' TG-3 if on budget.
 neuromancer 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd:

A friend of mine much more into photography than me replied to a similar question of mine: he said 'use your iPhone (and a battery case) for snaps, and if you want anything better decide whether or not you want to bring a 'bridge' camera with you - and buy the best one you can afford (probably second hand on eBay)'. For the average consumer or prosumer, there is little in the compact camera or full frame dslr market to really make it a worthy choice.

Make of that what you will.
 colinakmc 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd: I just got a Panasonic GM1 which is a CSC camera with a very small interchangeable lens. It fits in a pocket ( just) and takes excellent pictures. Also does RAW files if you're into photoshop. Worth a look.

Lusk 05 Oct 2015
In reply to ashaughnessy:

> And finally, a perfectly serious question - what's wrong with your iPhone?

A lot of us haven't been suckered by Apple into buying their over-priced garbage.
I'll stick with a camera, thanks. (Lumix TZ8, £36 off fleabay)

drmarten 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd:

There's a Sony Cybershot DSC HX50 on sale on a Brazilian river website for £124, used but like new. This model is two years old, I bought a used one as my dearer RX100 hasn't got a very good zoom. If I need a good zoom then I take the HX50 and I've got a 30x zoom. The main thing you might wish to consider is the used/refurbished category where you can get the type of camera that's just been superseded by a new model for a lot less money. There's a few people know their cameras on here, I'm not going to be bold enough in their company to suggest an actual model just a different market. Good luck.
 Mark Kemball 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd:
Another vote for the Olympus Tough - a good camera which does what it says on the packet - it's waterproof and quite bouncy. I particularly like the bit in the instructions which says "after immersing in salt water, soak in fresh water for 30 minutes, then allow to dry before opening the case".

Post edited at 14:46
 Martin Bennett 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd:

I like, for the performance:size ratio, the Panasonic Lumix TZ series. You'll pick up a perfectly good 2nd hand TZ30 for about £60 or new maybe £130?
Mind you I'm pretty careless and therefore hard on stuff and have broken them so currently trying a change of tack in case they're more robust, and gone onto a Canon Ixus 230HS which I bought 2nd hand for £30. It's even smaller (tho with less zoom) and really good, and I'm now thinking of upgrading to the later IxusHS265 because it has a wider angle lens and 12 x zoom rather than the 8x I have on mine.
I probably should go with the tough type cameras recommended above but I think they're generally limited to around 3x or 5x zoom and I like a bit more flexibility in that regard.
By the way I'm not a camera buff, just a punter.
 obi-wan nick b 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin Bennett:

The "times" thing with zoom lenses possibly isn't quite what you think. It's based on the smallest focal length so if you start out with a wider angle lens (shorter focal length) your 12x probably isn't much different from your 8x with a less wide angle (longer focal length) starting point. Also as its covering a greater range then pound for pound the quality is likly to suffer. I find it easiest to convert to 35mm equivalents for comparing lens lengths...
 Hamfunk 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Euan Todd:

Sony RX100 M1 - worth every penny, you wont be disappointed.

The intelligent auto setting is practically cheating.
 didntcomelast 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I had one which I really liked. Sadly my daughter took it to the Galápagos Islands and whilst swimming with sea lion / seal types one of them bit the camera which was hanging from her wrist. Result broken camera.
It was really funny taking it into Jessops and explaining how the camera broke.
 Martin Bennett 18 Oct 2015
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Yeah, thanks. It is what I think though. What I said was I want more flexibility, not necessarily more zzzzoooom! The camera I want is approx. equivalent to 24 - 280mm as opposed to the one I have which is approx. 28 - 220. Actually better at both ends but what I want from it is the wider angle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...