UKC

Which mini camcorder thing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deacondeacon 04 Oct 2015

Looking for some advice please.
I'm after a small camcorder/gopro type device but know absolutely nothing about them, and am getting pretty confused with the choice.
Currently filming on a dslr but would like something handier/better battery life/more robust than this.
I'm not interested in chest mounts or helmet mounts but would like to be able to put it on a tripod.
It doesn't have to be waterproof but it does have to be able to take a few knocks as it'll be thrown in my rucksack, balanced on rocks etc.
My slr is hd, will the film be able to be edited together with the new camera?
Are all action cam style cameras editable in iMovie?
Recommendations for value for money tend to aim towards the Chinese market, is this wise? Are English instructions available? Does quality vary much?

I've seen the budget gopro recommended as well as a yi camera amongst other things but don't know what would be most suitable.
Also budget is definitely an issue. I'd be looking at around £60-£100, and will probably aim for second hand.
Like I said I'm a Luddite when it comes to cameras and I have had a general search on here and elsewhere but confusion is causing my head to hurt
Post edited at 09:10
 The Lemming 04 Oct 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

Have a look at the Techmoan site, at it answers most of your questions.
http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/
OP deacondeacon 04 Oct 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a read through this evening
 EddInaBox 04 Oct 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

I don't know anything about the Yi (yet, I intend to do a bit of reading when I have time) but if you're on a budget the Mobius Actioncam is worth considering, I have purchased two, both direct from Chinese eBay sellers and didn't have any problems, great little cameras, there's a fair amount of information on the first page of this behemoth of a thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...