UKC

Road shifters / brakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 06 Oct 2015
So I am relatively new to road cycling. However, I have been enjoying using the bike instead of the car for many journeys and many weeks doing a 60km commute a couple of days. However, I have been finding that my thumb joint is getting sore as I have to reach so far to try to brake when I am riding on the hoods. I think the hoods are just too chunky for me to get my fingers past them far enough to pull the brakes without straining the thumb joint.
I am about the same size as most 11 year olds that I know, so what do they put on kids road bikes? I only have 8 speed at the back (I'm in the budget end of the bike market!), so I need to find a shifter that I can reach round and will adjust well for 8 speed.
Any suggestions?
 LastBoyScout 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
If they are Shimano, you can get shims to bring the levers closer to the bar (check for your model), but that might not solve your problem, as they mainly reduce the reach when you're on the drops. They may also might cause brake rub if your wheels aren't dead true, as you need the pads closer to the rim due to the reduced pull distance.

I've heard rumours of short-reach levers, but I think those are just the same as normal ones supplied with the shims already fitted.

You could try a different model of lever that might suit your hand better, but there's a limit to how much you can do and still retain the gear shifter internals.

At the extreme end, you could change to just brake levers only and move the shifting elsewhere - options are levers on the bar ends, down-tube mounted ones or even Gripshift/MTB rapid fire levers mounted near the stem.
Post edited at 13:08
OP girlymonkey 06 Oct 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

The shims don't help, it is not how close the levers are to the bar that is the problem (I can reach them fine on the drops), it's the size of the hood which is the problem. My hands just don't reach past them. We don't have a great selection of bike shops around me to try them out. I can think of one place that might have something, but I thought I might get more suggestions of possible options on here!
Yes, I see what you mean that there is a reason the hoods are the size they are, I guess they have to fit quite a lot in there!!
 LastBoyScout 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Further thoughts:

If you have Sora STI levers, I think they have adjustable reach without the need for shims.

Also might be worth adjusting the position on the bars, which will adjust your hand position on the hoods and might make it easier.

Microshift levers are reported to be shorter reach than Shimano and are compatible.

Last budget option might be to fit interrupter brake levers too - as on cyclocross bikes - and use them on descents.

Expensive option might be to swap to SRAM Rival levers (compatible with Shimano) or Campag Veloce (can apparently be done with an adapter for the different pull ratios), but both reported to be better for small hands.
 Toby_W 06 Oct 2015

What he said, and look at women specific bars. My wife is small and perfectly formed as well and uses the reach adjusters and tiny bars. The shape can make a big difference.

Cheers

Toby

In reply to Toby_W:

How does the size of the bars change things? What is smaller about them?
 LastBoyScout 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

The shape of the curve and the position of the shifters can make big differences to reach on the levers. This mainly affects when you're on the drops, but can adjust your hand position on the hoods, too, depending on how the bar curves away from the hoods and so the angle it forms.

Changing the bars isn't hard, but any messing around with moving/changing shifters become a right faff of mucking about with bar tape and cabling.
 Oujmik 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Different makes have different size hoods, but the problem is shifters are one of the most expensive components on a bike and they also have limited intercompatibilty between makes so it's not easy to just swap them. Add to that the fact that you're using 8-speed which means very limited choice and you're in a bit of a tricky place (not unique for a woman searching for bike parts...).

A good start would be to go into a bike shop (or several) and try putting your hand on shifters by the three big brands Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo; at least that way you'll know if you like any of them. Typically SRAM and Campag are smaller than Shimano. Once you know that you can look into the practicalities of replacement. If it turns out to be impossible at least you'll know what kit you want on your new bike!
In reply to Oujmik:

I went into my local bike shop - they only have Shimano, and not a massive range at that
Yes, the lack of suitable kit for small people is a constant peeve of mine, and not unique to biking.
I have no objection to upgrading to 10 or 11 speed, if I can get the shifters that will actually work for me. It just seems that bike companies don't cater for wee folks! Even the kids road bikes in my local bike shop were no better. GRRRRR!!!!!

I don't think changing the bars would help then, as the drops are fine. It may be women's specific bars that are on it anyway, I'm not sure. I might have a play with the positioning of the shifters, I quite like tinkering with bikes, but I am not convinced it will help!
aligibb 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Adjusting the position of the hoods may help put less strain on your thumb join. I have fairly small hands and have broken both thumb joints in the past so also have had problems getting comfortable... Heres a couple things i have done/do.

1. Gloves. Most fingerless gloves have big seams around the thumb which i just can't stand to have on, and they are where you end up putting pressure on the hoods. So i don't use them but have some thin full finger ones from Galibier which are stretchy and have v small seams. And thicker neoprene ones from Endura that don't have sewn seams so less problematic.

2. Work on your core and make sure the rest of your bike is set up well so that as little pressure goes through your arms and then hands as possible.

Hope that helps!

Ali
In reply to aligibb:

I don't often wear gloves, but I will spend some time fiddling with set up and positioning, see if that changes anything. Hope it is that simple!
 Toby_W 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
Don't know if it's been answered but I have some bars and I struggle to reach the brakes they all have different drops, reach and angles/rate of curve.

Not sure if it will help but worth a look. I'll check the make of my wife's and let you know what they are.

Toby
Post edited at 21:08
 cragtyke 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

You could try fitting some CX levers such as Cane Creek Crosstop Brake Levers, for riding on the bars rather than the hoods. It looks like they work on the same cable as your normal levers.
 Dave Todd 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

> ...so what do they put on kids road bikes? I only have 8 speed at the back (I'm in the budget end of the bike market!), so I need to find a shifter that I can reach round and will adjust well for 8 speed.

> Any suggestions?

Well, my 9 year old son has had one of these for a couple of months now. Only has a rear mech (8sp) and it uses a standard Shimano Claris shifter with shims. He doesn't have any probs braking from the hoods.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/bikes/item/luath-26

Defo worth looking at the position of the hoods on the bar (note this Islabike is pretty level from top of bars onto hoods). Also worth analysing your overall 'reach' situation - for example, if you're already fairly stretched-out then you might find it more difficult to reach the levers from the hoods. Shorter stem can make a big difference in this case.
 wbo 06 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey: ask around a bit as different 'flavours', years of shimano have different hood widths . Have you asked Shimano directly?

OP girlymonkey 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Todd:

Interestingly, my bike got knocked over in the bike rack yesterday, and one shifter got knocked inwards. I rode home with it like that, and it does feel a bit better! So maybe I have found the solution by mistake!! I will fiddle more later and see if I can get it right
Rigid Raider 07 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Send an email to Islabikes and ask what shifters they fit to the excellent bikes they build for kids and teenagers.
 Dave Todd 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Send an email to Islabikes and ask what shifters they fit to the excellent bikes they build for kids and teenagers.

...or read my post from 21:37 Tue!

(only joking, it's a good suggestion!)
 GrahamD 07 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

My wife's new commuter bike came with Claris with in line brake levers (so you can brake from the normal levers or from smaller levers on the bars themselves). She really likes them.
 kathrync 07 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
I had the same issue when I started with my road bike.

Like you, it was braking from the hoods that was an issue for me, not reaching from the drops. I looked at short-reach shifters, but they didn't make much difference. I am using 105 shifters.

I did change the position of the shifters on the bars, and also tilted the bars themselves to a slightly different angle . I also looked at changing the bars. Although the bars on my bike were women-specific, I did try some from other manufacturers that were also women-specific, and I did find that they felt different. In the event, I didn't find anything I liked better than what I already had, but you might find something if you look around.

The other thing I did was change the brake callipers from the cheap Tektro ones that came with the bike to 105. I didn't really expect this to make a difference, but actually it was quite noticeable and I don't feel like I have to pull on the levers so hard which makes it more comfortable. Lastly, I changed the brake pads for a softer compound, and also fiddled with the set-up so that the brakes bite at a position that is comfortable for me (obviously within the limits of what is effective).

Also, you don't say how long you have been using your bike. After the adjustments I made, it was better but not perfect - however over about a year it got better and now I don't notice a problem. I think my hands just got stronger and more used to braking from that position.

Edited to add: Contrary to advice from other, I removed the cross-top brakes from my bike - I found them really annoying! But - whatever works for you. If you don't have them and want to try them on the cheap, I'll send you my levers
Post edited at 11:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...